Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska Part Deux (Pic Heavy)

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
I received a last-minute invitation to go back to Nebraska, and with the nasty weather that was set to hit Iowa last week, I eagerly accepted a trip to the west of the massive front.

I killed a jake with my bow early in the season out there, but had a tag remaining and it was burning a hole in my pocket.
picture.php

On Wednesday afternoon, we arrived, set up camp and headed out to roost some birds. We got a hot lead from a local CO and he was spot on! There were birds everywhere on this public land. It was amazing!

The first morning, JK and I headed out on a two-mile walk to access these birds, but didn't anticipate the challenge of a creek and killer-steep hill. It almost killed us.

A shot from the walk in.
picture.php

A shot from half-way up the "Hill of Death"
picture.php

This hill almost killed me....
picture.php

But, we made it and 10 minutes later, we had a double in the dirt. I've killed a few merriams before, but none as beautiful as these. Bird weighed 18.5 lbs. had 1-inch spurs and an impressive 10-inch beard. Not many merriams grow a rope like that!

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of story

Overlooking the bottom and opposite side where we started out.
picture.php

Lighting doesn't get much better than this.
picture.php

picture.php

On the way down with 20 extra pounds.
picture.php

Looking back on the way out. It doesn't look that bad from this angle, but trust me, it was almost straight up!
picture.php

One of our many doubles. Forever memory.
picture.php

That was the first morning. We had two more days, so I decided to got an get my third and final tag. But, as things always go when you get cocky, it was tough and I didn't have another opportunity at a bearded bird until the final half-hour of the entire trip.

Now, before I go into this, let me say I don't advocate shooting bearded hens, but I have always wanted one. The landowner said that the population was so thick that if we got a shot at one, he'd appreciate us killing one. We also heard from the local CO that 10% of the hens in this area carry beards.

So, with an unfilled tag sitting in my pocket and a few minutes remaining before we headed home, this whiskered lady showed up and I dumped her.

She is beautiful and is in the freezer so I can get a full cape mount produced.

Count it!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I have been so blessed this year--I am beyond humbled. This was bird numba 5 on the year, and a cool one at that!
picture.php

We leave for MN end of this week and I have a 4th season tag still. I'm not expecting much, but I will give it a few short runs here and there.

God is good!
:way:

Congrats, Thomas! I keep telling you to come west for a real Merriams and I'll show you some steep hills that make that one look like child's play!! Good luck on the move!

Well done big boy. Let's see....... Great buck this fall, hell of a turkey season, .................... yeah I would want to leave Iowa also :rolleyes:

Good luck with Minnesota :D

Top Bottom