Necked cartidge bill returns HF 716

Discussion in 'Legislative Forum' started by Fishbonker, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Nathan Gibson

Nathan Gibson Member

please see my description above.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

For complete transparency would you please list what cartridges and setups will be legal that were not (or unclear) previously.

Rjack and Earnhardt like this.
  4. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Member

Yes, please give us several cartridges, that would and would not, be legal in this new law.

5. CurtisWalker

CurtisWalker Moderator

Oh guys these ballistic “restrictions” he’s talking about is only that there needs to be a 500 ft lb muzzle energy or higher. There is no high end limit so it’s free range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earnhardt likes this.
  6. seven twenty

seven twenty PMA Member

According to ATF rules isn’t an AR pistol just that, regardless of what’s on top? In other words, If your lower is purchased as a pistol lower, it will always be considered a pistol by rule. Unlike purchasing a rifle lower, you can not use a “short” Barreled upper.

If this is the case, then Nathan’s comment about pistol configurations goes out the window.

7. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Member

Oh, I’ve read this bill several times...
    And I know exactly what it says and means...

I’m just trying to get Nathan to “clarify” with some examples of cartridges that can be used...crickets...
    Nathan what is the biggest and smallest SAAMI cartridge allowed by this Bill?

I wonder if some of the people who voted for this Bill were mis-informed?

Rjack likes this.
  8. DMarley83

DMarley83 DMARLEY83

Been looking thru previous posts. This looks very concerning! Can some one please post in lamens terms the bullet points on this bill. Thanks!

9. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Member

How about...which legal cartridge has the shortest case length?
    Longest case length?

Lowest case capacity in grains?
    Highest case capacity in grains?

I'm still pondering as to why in the second paragraph of the bill the wording...STRAIGHT WALL... is crossed off?...
    Hmmm... makes ya wonder.

I wonder which ammo/ gun manufacturer has a "new cartridge" hitting the market within a week of this bill getting signed into law?

And yes...within 5 years...make no mistake... there is good chance all rifle cartridges (.223 to .50 cal) will be legal to hunt with in Iowa...

Any one send a letter to the Govenor yet? in regards to NOT signing this Bill.

Tim Hull, Farm boy and Sligh1 like this.
  10. Farm boy

Farm boy Member

Earnhardt your dead on with your questions...along with MANY of you.
    These questions NEED answers..
    I really would be concerned with is how much gray information was voted on to get this passed, things need to be cleared up.
    Once again wesles are very clever.

Rjack likes this.
  11. Ishi

Ishi Waiting for October

I’ve been searching for the Governor’s email with no luck yet!

12. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Member

Buehler...Buehler...Buehler?...

Rjack likes this.
  13. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Member

The Govenor's office email/contacts

contact

14. Nathan Gibson

Nathan Gibson Member

This will be the last reply Im doing on this as we seem to be just going in circles, and nothing I say will change your minds or convince you. I've spelled out the intent of the bill and exact wording of the bill for you.

To answer your question on case length, i will refer you back to the statement in the bill...

b. A cartridge rifle that is allowed pursuant to this subsection shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall or other ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5. In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5.

The second sentence is the critical one:

"In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall or other ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5."

This requires the NRC to establish a rule that limits the cartridges used in rifles to those that have "ballistic specifications similar" to those allowed to be used in pistols and revolvers in the preceding section (5) of the law.

The NRC will establish rule's that prescribe , Lowest case capacity in grains & Highest case capacity in grains ENSURING that the rules meet ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall or other ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5

In other words, the NRC will ensure (as required by law in this bill) that the rounds you are so afraid people are going to be using CANT be used.

So no, this isn't in the law, because the NRC is now required to ensure their RULES prohibit it. This ensure that any new cartridges that may or may not come out, can be quickly prohibited by the NRC (which can move faster than the legislator).

IN any case, I appreciate the dialog, and I am sorry that we don't see eye to eye on this bill. We are conservationist, hunters, and whitetail lovers just like you and we know this will have NO impact on the awesome heard we have hear in Iowa.

I'm bowing out now! Feel free to ping IFC if you have any further questions/comments/concerns.

15. Earnhardt

Earnhardt Member

So in other words...

It's just like what Nancy Pelosi said in regards to Obama-Care, when they wouldn't let anyone know what was in the Bill before they voted on it...

Nancy said, "We have to pass the Bill, so that you can find out what is in it"...

watch

That worked out well....

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    breckhawk, Sligh1 and gunrunr like this.
  16. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

There are so many holes in this it is ridiculous. "Similar to", that should be clear. No one thinks someone with a penny is "similar to" someone with a million dollars. But, someone with a penny is "similar to" someone with a nickle and someone with a nickle is "similar to" someone with a dime is "similar to" someone with a quarter...... and eventually if you chase the "similar to" chain the argument can be made a penny is similar to a million dollars.

The other problem, the 350 Legend was created specifically due to the straight-wall restriction. The 30-30 is "similar to" the 350 Legend from a ballistics point of view so it will be allowed. All someone has to do is build a straight-wall with ballistics "similar to" a 30-06 and then the '06 is allowed.

And if you think the NRC is going to pay attention to the difference in ballistics in a pistol vs. a rifle for a given cartridge, you are misguided. Anything that can be shot in a pistol will certainly be allowed. The outcry of "you can't allow that cartridge in a pistol, but not in a rifle" will be huge. Why, that would be a 2A travesty! How can you tell me I can't hunt with the "exact same" cartridge in my rifle that Nathan can use in his pistol. It isn't "similar to", it is the EXACT same thing.

The slope is now so slippery, there is likely no way to stop it. Congrats to IFC and shame on those who thought putting "straight-wall" in the gun seasons wasn't going to lead to anything further. Wake up - it is NEVER just one more step.

17. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

OMG!!!!!! I was thinking the same thing last night!!!! They passed this the same way too!!!!...... sneaky, quick, in secret, ignoring public, totally one sided, dirty politics, etc etc. Just like Obama-care- we get to live with results while “their lives” aren’t impacted in negative way. Contempt for the people & short sighted bad legislation that damages “the system” it exists in. Good catch & ironic the parallels between this trash & Obama-care.

side note: as a lifetime NRA member.... I am really rethinking that if they are going to continue to stray from 2a issues & now get into hunting regs. The 2 don’t belong together. I will NEVER join IFC!!!! They have clearly demonstrated- not 2a organization.... they are into game & hunting laws now.... just because they want a little short term spike in the sagging gun sales. It’s slowed since Obama left office & this is one of many tricks they will use to get quick increases in gun sales.

18. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

The gun sales issue will never go away. It's not like a car that wears out. Guns basically last forever if cared for. It's a dynamic that will forever affect the hunting world, unfortunately. So like cellphones, they gotta find a way for people to buy the new shiny toy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rjack likes this.
  19. EVIL X

EVIL X Member

I've emailed the governors office and had family members voice their opinions as well. Hopefully with enough messages it will raise an eye brow. I'm just afraid its too late.

20. Hawk32

Hawk32 Active Member

EvilX
    Can you post that email address please. Thanks

21. EVIL X

EVIL X Member

I actually used Earnhardt link above in his post.