Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Some Ideas

kevpann

PMA Member
I have a chunk of about 8 acres of old pasture land that I try to keep as a refuge for deer during the shot gun season. It is hunted very little bow season and late muzzleloader. My goal is to let the deer get to at least three and 3 1/2. It is pretty much all sqare mile sections around so the deer get hammered pretty hard. Too start off I just want to give them a place to stay the shot gun season. What will keep them there. I will be planting a aditional 2 acre food plot. What should I plant? It is currently tillable land. What kind of trees should I be adding. It's a south facing slope that is kind of rocky and also has a east facing slope that isn't quite as bad. It currently has red cedar,cherry,elm,and plumb brush. Appreciate any advice you could share.

Not sure what to tell you about the sanctuary, other than to just stay out of it. Hard to say what to plant without seeing it. Having the red cedar would be a plus though as they will spread and are good cover.

For the foodplot I would likely just go with corn. Corn is a good draw for late muzzeloader and would provide another 2 acres of thick cover for bucks to hide. Since its tillable land corn should be easy enough.

Sounds like good advice from TP. I would definitely start with a soil test, check Ph levels and what not. This will get you going on what to plant. Corn sounds like a good option, turnips would be nice as well.

Like TP said, do not disturb the area. If you keep the area clear of all human interaction, the deer will generally hold in that area. This works even better when you have a good food source ie, corn/turnips/etc.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.

BT

sounds like good advice! I've been reading some othether post. I would like to get ahold of some shingle oak seed or saplings any idea where I can get some?

Top Bottom