Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need your opinions!!!

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
I am looking into buying a muzzleloader and have been looking at buying new. I've looked at Traditions CVA and Thompson Center. I was leaning towards the traditions bare gun and was gonna buy a Nikon inline xr scope when I buy the gun. Just recently I found someone selling their CVA optima Camo with thumbhole and has a cabelas 3x9x40 scope also come with 20 bullets powder pellets a sling and bullet starter. He is asking $350. Was wondering what you guys would recommend me doing. Is that a good price?? And I was also gonna see if could buy just the gun and put a scope on my self. What would it be worth just bare gun?? Thanks for the help. I'm new to muzzleloading so anything helps.

I have a T/C Encore SS thumb hole pro hunter with a Nikon Omega scope on it and love it and would buy another, however savage makes a ML that uses non black power powder I would definitely look at.

I bought a traditions w/thumbhole stock and put a Nikon Omega scope and love it! I don't know that there's a huge difference between the Traditions, CVA, T/C, probably a Ford/Chevy kind of thing. Each probably has their own positives/negatives but they should all kill deer just fine. If the CVA w/scope is relatively new and in good shape, $350 seems like an alright price to me (without knowing anything about the scope). For what it's worth, I got my Traditions and Nikon scope new for about $400 but those were both sale prices.

Assuming the gun/scope are in good shape and not real old, probably a good deal. Saw an Optima in camo/stainless with thumbhole for around that, maybe higher, without the scope, at Walmart. Camo/blued with regular stock was under $300. That's one I've been looking at, if I ever decide to/get the ok to buy a muzzy. For now, my brother's TC Black Diamond will have to do.

Before you buy one, go to your local gun store and see how they feel when you shoulder them. Find the one that you would be happy with, and it feels right.
Scheels in Sioux City had 2 CVA OPTIMAS S/S black with out the thumbhole stock, $219 they had them marked as used, but they were last years model.

I don't know that there's a huge difference between the Traditions, CVA, T/C, probably a Ford/Chevy kind of thing. Each probably has their own positives/negatives but they should all kill deer just fine. QUOTE]

Close...there are no negatives with a CVA!!!:D

probably a Ford/Chevy kind of thing. Each probably has their own positives/negatives but they should all kill deer just fine.

I have killed a couple deer with Chevy/GM vehicles, and even one with a Dodge. Have yet to get one with a Ford to compare them to. Two kills were quick with no tracking to do, but the other one got away. Couldn't find the blood trail. :( Not sure if a Ford can do any better. I suppose it's all about bumper placement.:D

Top Bottom