NEIA Shed hunting struggles so far

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by Trapshooter1, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I've been out maybe 4-5 times so far. Found 3 sheds yearling buck sheds. 6-7 friends have been out shed hunting pretty hard and they haven't found any. Anyone else in NEIA struggling to find sheds??? Mild winter causing them not to drop?? What's everyone else seeing? And Finding?

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Hawk32

Hawk32 Member

We picked up one during LM. Seen multiple other shed bucks and half racks the week after xmas. Have one buddy who is over 10 or so. Got a report some amish found 13 on one farm that borders another buddies place. Sounds to me like people are hitting it hard up there. I haven't had a chance to make it back to go. Might be to late before I do. Good luck

4. flugge

flugge Active Member

I think they are just more scattered than normal due to mild winter. I know of a few guys that each have a couple over that way, including some beasts over 70 inches..but overall pretty slim pickings.... last year I had 40 by now, this year I have 3....

5. dartsportsteve

dartsportsteve New Member

Spotted 8 bucks from my house tonight in Clayton county. 2 shed bucks, 1 half rack and 5 still carrying both sides.

Attached Files:

6. Tim Hull

Tim Hull PMA Member

This is like not seeing rut activity on October 10th. Give it a couple weeks.

7. Jordan46

Jordan46 Member

I feel its still too early no matter the weather. Usually wont start going until mar 1

8. boneman

boneman boneman

It's late in my opinion not early, but depends if you're on private or public! I'm at 34 sheds so far

9. boneman

boneman boneman

33 public, 1 private

10. boneman

boneman boneman

Found 5 more today, Clayton County. Definitely a challenging year but I'd say there's lots on the ground, one more week and I might hang up the boots for the season? One did have blood on it but others were clean. Good luck everyone!

11. flugge

flugge Active Member

^^ Walked all weekend in Allamakee, came across one 2 year old chewed shed... Makes me wonder with the hunters still killing deer if they are not scattered more now

12. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

I walked about 15 miles over the weekend and saw MANY bucks holding both sides- and pulled cards at a place I was going to walk and ended up not walking due to all the bucks on camera still holding both sides. I think people arent finding them as much due to late shed season with this warm weather

13. isu22andy

isu22andy Active Member

[​IMG]

This guy and another were holding last weekend , Western IA . I had 20+ sheds this year not a one in my possession yet . Only walked 6-7 miles though .

14. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Active Member

Had a 2.5 yr old buck run across the road in front of me last Friday night at dusk, still carrying both sides. He trotted up to two antlerless deer already in the field like it was November.

15. ALT_craz

ALT_craz New Member

Just passed a buck dead along the road hit late Saturday night or Sunday still has both sides... central iowa

16. mumms

mumms mumms

Was hitting the woods hard in NE Iowa starting in late January and early February with great success, I know in the area I was walking they were dropping early, found a great 70" 5 other side on the 3rd of February and just finally matched it up this last Monday, other side had been buried in snow walked by it many times, have a total of 41 so far, mostly public, big set was public

17. boneman

boneman boneman

Same here been picking them consistently since early January, can't hardly be many holding yet but who knows. I'm at 44 so far mostly of the hard earned public variety, anyone seeing any holding yet? Ones I've been finding recently aren't recent drops, good luck everyone!

18. mumms

mumms mumms

Same here as far as mostly finding not fresh drops lately, although we did find a few fresh ones last weekend and did see a few bucks still holding

19. flugge

flugge Active Member

Picked one up last weekend, still had blood on the base... saw 4 holding both sides