Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new bean plot questions

last week i planted 2/3 of an acre in eagle managers mix beans. after round up and tilling the plot, i dragged then rolled it flat. then i broadcast 35 pounds of beans, dragged a bed spring to cover them, then packed them in with a 4 foot lawn roller. 90% of the beans got covered. this week we had 2 very hard rains and when i got to the field to check on it, about half to two thirds of the beans are now on or near the surface. i see that some are starting roots and most are twice the size that they were when i planted them... my questions are: do i leave them alone or try to re-roll them in. are they going to grow???
also, has any one had any luck with the plotsaver system?? i put one up tonight, neat concept but the liquid dosen't seem to smell real bad...
thank you guys for any and all input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do i leave them alone or try to re-roll them in. are they going to grow???
</div></div>

I don't think I would touch them but maybe someone else has had this happen. I think they'll root right from there and more then likely plenty more are under the soil as well.

I suppose some of mine end up that way but I reckon the turkeys eat them as soon as they are uncovered... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

The only "plot saver" that ever works for me is a 3 blade muzzy in October... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I would leave them alone. If they are germinated, you can do more harm than good. Beans have a cotyledian, and if you try to bury them again and break that, you won't have a been. Just keep on eye on them, and if you see that they are not wanting to germinate or grow, you may consider replanting.

Dont know much about the bean situation.

But I have used the Plot saver stuff in the garden here at the house. 2years ago I had 75 pumkins and I wanted to try to keep them out of. Every 2weeks you should reapply it. I also tied rags to the tops of my stakes and soaked the rags in it as well. Smells like mint grass to me? Dont know if deer dont like mint or what?

Dean

good news & not so good news...
good news is that it looks like most of the beans are up.
bad news is that the plot saver doesn't seem to be working. some deer got inside the "fence". dosen't seem to be a lot of damage to the new plants, but they will figure it out pretty soon and wipe the whole plot out. gonna try to reapply the liquid and dump a couple bags of milorganite where they are comming in and out. hope it works or the eagle beans won't be around much longer

Well, if they wipe the plot out early. Just tip it back under and start preparing for a fall planting.

Dean

u.p. bowhunter, I had a guy tell me he put out rags soaked in regular household ammonia hung around his plot, and the deer stayed out of it. I have heard of this method for keeping fox out of chicken houses, something about the smell of it burns the nostrils of foxes, but I don't know if it really works for deer or not. Worth a shot, not going to cost you very much if it doesn't work.

went back and sprayed the plotsaver (first time i just used a sponge). added a row of orange survey tape below the plotsaver tape. then i dumped milogranite around the whole plot under the "fence" (2 bags). as a final measure, i put the amonia soaked rags on the two trails entering the plot...
with this plot being the only source of beans for miles, this should prove interesting...
thanks for the tips

QUESTION- thinking of doing a new bean plot - I have 2-3 acres of poor soil that is acidic, I can add lime of course. It's VERY ROCKY though. It's in horrible hay that I get no $ for and let the farmer bale it for free. Do you think there's a way to drill in some RR beans after I mow, spray, fertilize and lime it this year. Or will the rocks in the soil make it a no-go? THANKS! *I'm far from a knowledgeable farmer!
**My motive this year is a food plot. Next winter/early spring I'll transform it into Native grasses. Any other advice.

You just decsribed the worst conditions for beans. I would shy away from the beans, unless you are wanting to "clean" the area up with round up. If this is what you are wanting to do, use pell lime this year, as it will be more readily available for use from the plants than ag lime. This late in the game, I would look at a mid 2 bean such as a 2.4-2.6 maturity for optimal growth.

I will use Round-up ready beans and use round-up as needed. I put down about 300 lbs of pell lime about 2 months ago. You think this will be ok OR would you recommend something else? THANKS!

For a plot, I don't see how you could go wrong. Since you said that the soil is acidic, it is going to be tuff to get any legume to have a great stand, but beans are tuffer now days with the genetics that are out there, and I would bet that you will have a decent plot, but keep in mind for building up your P and K levels along with your ph in the future (this winter or next spring).

Top Bottom