Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new club member

Rich77

This morning I had my first ever miss on a buck with a bow... tough pill to swallow.
I missed a doe in 2010 and even that ate at me.
I've been doing this for a long time so I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. It was a risky shot by almost anyone's standards. 47 yards, he basically had me pegged in the tree when I grabbed my bow. I dialed my sight for 45 and held a little low figuring he would duck... and he sure did duck, I'd guess 18+inches and I sailed it right over his back....
Better than a bad hit, it wasn't a 200 incher and he's no worse for the wear. I'm sure a few of the fellas on here have missed one or twice

I've been bow hunting since I was 12, so 15 years and last Saturday was my first ever miss. The arrow flew true, the deer just took off after a small buck when I was pulling the trigger. It is a sickening feeling that's for sure but he is still running around spreading his genes.

If you hunt long enough it will happen. My first year I missed 8 or 9 times:eek: The sun will come up again so shake it off and keep at it . Good luck

I missed a solid 160's buck back on Nov 9. Been a rough week was only 14yds, hit a branch! I hope I get another chance, at the same time I'm no fool and know you only get so many chances on a mature buck.

15 yrs and this is my only miss on a buck. I did miss a doe in 2011. I was probably overdue.
My brother missed his #1 buck on October 1st last yr and went into the late season before filling his tag. He was a pretty good pick me up today. I shot out to 80 yards tonight in a big lit driveway and all is good. Just one of those things that will eventually happen. Tomorrow is another day and I'll be after them again

As they say, there are only two kinds of bowhunters...those who have missed, and those who are going to :D

Once upon a time I was 12 for 12 with my muzzleloader and made the mistake of mentioning something about it to my hunting buddies. Later that same day I was 12 for 13...:confused:

NWBuck

15 yrs and this is my only miss on a buck. I did miss a doe in 2011. I was probably overdue.
My brother missed his #1 buck on October 1st last yr and went into the late season before filling his tag. He was a pretty good pick me up today. I shot out to 80 yards tonight in a big lit driveway and all is good. Just one of those things that will eventually happen. Tomorrow is another day and I'll be after them again

You have a good attitude!

As they say, there are only two kinds of bowhunters...those who have missed, and those who are going to :D

Once upon a time I was 12 for 12 with my muzzleloader and made the mistake of mentioning something about it to my hunting buddies. Later that same day I was 12 for 13...:confused:

NWBuck

I cannot confirm nor deny I may have done this exact same thing with a muzzleloader. Only difference was I missed two in 4 days. You wanna talk about sick!!!!

I got my muzzeloader miss out of the way a few years ago... 65 yards broadside, sun hadn't even set yet. Never more confident in the world.
One of those where you can already hear the cold beers opening even before ya squeeze the trigger!
I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what was 10 ft in front of the barrel and to my surprise it only takes a few good sized pin oak branches to completely put a bullet off course. It was a bow stand and never had planned to shoot that far in that direction... it happens. I can live with it

Missed a 160s on Saturday night...came in the one side I couldnt shoot clearly, tried to get in a goofy angle, hit a branch..but he never knew what happened...just slowly walked off eating..

I got my muzzeloader miss out of the way a few years ago... 65 yards broadside, sun hadn't even set yet. Never more confident in the world.
One of those where you can already hear the cold beers opening even before ya squeeze the trigger!
I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to what was 10 ft in front of the barrel and to my surprise it only takes a few good sized pin oak branches to completely put a bullet off course. It was a bow stand and never had planned to shoot that far in that direction... it happens. I can live with it

At least you know what the culprit was. Those are bearable. I hate the misses where you have no clue what happened. Then you start second guessing the gun, scope, load combo, etc.

Missed a mangy coyote on Saturday. Could have sworn my bow was off so I pulled a field tip arrow out and plunked it within inches of the first arrow. Then I shot a nervous doe 10 minutes later and she ducked when I shot, so the arrow got her in the shoulder. I was blessed because the rage destroyed the shoulder and got heart so she didn't go far. The shot would have been perfect had she stood still, but the way it went down it still killed my confidence and made me feel terrible. All the guys that you think never miss actually miss too, they just don't talk about it! ;)

I take every shot I take very seriously and more than prided myself in the shots I have taken. It took me a solid 10 minuets before I text my brother and told him I missed a buck with my bow.
I cut wood all day on Sunday and my wife really wanted to hunt so I dropped her off on our farm at noon and she text me at 4:50 saying that she had filler her doe tag.
She made up for my miss with a perfect quartered away shot and her doe only went 50 yards. she has killed 3 bucks but had never even drawn on a doe. I was very happy to see that she waited for a perfect angle and put the arrow right where it needed to be. I told her from day one never to take a risky shot or a bad angle and I know when I get a text that it's going to be a short blood trail and a great shot.

Top Bottom