Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New disc for tight spots

Copenhagen Tob

PMA Member
I always wanted a disc for a skid loader, found a disc on craigslist cut in half then shortened the distance between gangs, welded on backing plate , painted all I have left to do is decals. I'll use it a lot to put in my buck forage oats. Should be able to broadcast oats , disc, then pack in with the tracks on the skidsteer
4d9cc98da13e9224783ba155fa3fb171.jpg
f09feb2d6b47ff6f56e928722442ffc7.jpg
72ebf033905eb14b89c2c949bc0864a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just a question , so with a skid loader you disk and run over it with the skid loader wont that make it packed back down before you broadcast the seed ? Just asking never seen it done..

Thanks

Do you think the lack of free float of the disk as compared to being dragged behind a tractor will make a difference? Seems to me the disk wont be as free to move and therefore won't do as good of a job

Here’s what most discs I use do.... don’t dig deep enough especially on “new ground” that’s not been worked. Extra weight would actually be nice. Now, I do most my ground no till but if I had my small discs in past- needed to go over a lot!! Some discs have weight brackets or holders to put more weight on them. The only disc I have that is “heavy enough” is a 25’ IH 496. But- I pull it with a minimum of 150HP+ too so that’s not too relatable to food plots. Really only reason I use it is breaking up sod or smoothing areas down to seed them down. One time my genius brother decided to fold up wings & disc with only like 10’ in center!! Got deep but cracked my discs!!
I bet u pull that disc above in forward & what u run back over won’t be that big of deal. I wouldn’t be surprised if still went over a couple times. Sod is the worst! But if u working on ground been worked before be easy. Oats only need Bout inch anyways so likely really easy. Curious how it works out. I’m not real familiar with skid steers but having some down pressure sure sounds nice if you could & not too hard on discs. Post some pics after u run it or short video of it working. I like that set up!

Last edited:
Your right on sligh , I'm sure I will be able to push the disc, however all the engineering that went into the original implement was made to be pulled , just like every other disc/ field finisher/ disc chisel etc. I'm really not intending to use as a sod buster mostly just to scratch an inch or 2 , pulled by a tracked skidloader should work for what I need it to do

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I built one with a 7ish foot wide 3 point tandem offset disc. Flipped the discs (concave / convex) around. Cut off the 3pt hitch flat to weld a quick attach plate on. Welded a plate on and use it quite a bit.

I've got a track machine too, and thought I'd pull it backwards, but push it 99.9% of the time. With heavy downforce, it's a heck of a sod buster.

My machine is big and heavy, but only has a footprint of like 8psi, so even pushing it doesn't compact the loose soil much.

I'm aggressive with my machinery, so I break discs, but they're not tough or expensive to replace if necessary.

My disc doesn't have disc scrapers / cleaners, so dry soil works best. Otherwise, I'm cleaning disks often.

Enjoy it. Great addition to your SL implements.

Top Bottom