Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New hunting companion

muddy

Now that the kids are old enough we finally added a dog to the house. I don't have much for deer hunting to share at the moment, but our new couch potato/bird dog is fun. Had vizslas growing up, IMO they're the best dog you can get.20170808_083202-600x600.jpg

Very good looking Vizsla! Didn't by chance get him from a Professor at the med school? Just curious, I've got a classmate there who raises some good ones.

No, she came from a breeder over by Mechanicsville. Was nice we were able to visit the pups 6 or 7 times before we chose

Thats a good looking dog. Ours still isnt house broke, drives me nuts almost as much as leash pulling.

A crate will help a ton with house breaking and a pinch collar for leash pulling. Good luck and enjoy puppyhood! It passes all too fast!

Choke chain or pinch collar? Don't let her just pull. I think the pinch is way easier on you and the dog. "Pop" her with the collar and let it go slack. While walking, change direction quickly, give her a serious pop with the collar and tell her to "heel". Repeat whenever she gets put in front of you (even before she starts to pull). Keep after her. A good dog has lots of energy, but they're also trainable. Be consistent, be firm and be patient! Don't loose your temper but don't give in either. It's critical that you win but do so calmly. You MUST be the top dog in the team. She'll figure out the it's more comfortable to play by your rules as long as you make it so. Be stern and certain with corrections and overly effusive with praise when she does right! Love training a high powered dog, but it can be a challenge. Good luck!

Yeah its a choke collar. It works great for "sit" and "down" so far. By pinch collar you mean one of the spiked type?

Yeah its a choke collar. It works great for "sit" and "down" so far. By pinch collar you mean one of the spiked type?

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/1317/spike-dog-training-collar.htm Not really a "spike" collar as the prongs are blunted. They are uncomfortable enough to get their attention when pressure is applied but do not puncture skin. And they are totally comfortable with no pressure applied. Dogs quickly learn the difference. I've got 2 or 3 of them somewhere and currently have no young dogs. If I can find one in my bag of training gear, I will send you one to try. Will look in the AM. They look aggressive but are actually kinder than the choke collar.

http://www.dogsunlimited.com/i/1317/spike-dog-training-collar.htm Not really a "spike" collar as the prongs are blunted. They are uncomfortable enough to get their attention when pressure is applied but do not puncture skin. And they are totally comfortable with no pressure applied. Dogs quickly learn the difference. I've got 2 or 3 of them somewhere and currently have no young dogs. If I can find one in my bag of training gear, I will send you one to try. Will look in the AM. They look aggressive but are actually kinder than the choke collar.

Great, that would be absolutely wonderful. Right now we're in week 1 of underground fence training so we're not to leave the yard. Little turd is fun, but challenging.

Good looking pup for sure. Will be awesome to see the pup and kids growing up together, best friends for sure

I gave up on collsrs when on a leash and use a harness. He's off leash 99% of the time which makes it hard to leash him. I figured if I couldn't stop the pulling I might as well not crush his neck vitals.

I like the look of that dog. Is this a breed better suited to be a housedog due to short hair?

They shed, just not as bad as some. Vizslas are pretty intense, lotta energy, mostly suited for bird hunting but if you want a couch potato they will do that as well. Just gotta exercise em

They shed, just not as bad as some. Vizslas are pretty intense, lotta energy, mostly suited for bird hunting but if you want a couch potato they will do that as well. Just gotta exercise em
I'm looking for an outside dog but wasn't sure if the Vizla was a good breed to have outside in the winter. I let the animals into a heated area in my shop at night during cold spells but they need to be able to handle outside temps during the day. They always have access to shelter but not heated shelter most of the time. Anyone ever try to train one to shed hunt?

Growing up our vizslas stayed outside all the time, but had dog houses to get into. Shed hutning, I dunno, about any hunting dog can find sheds if trained properly

Mine is the exact opposite of a couch potato and she sheds like a mofo.. Kansas musta put something in the water.

Top Bottom