Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Iowa Record?

150 Class

A nice deer indeed! It would be nice to know more of the story. The pictures raise some questions. Bow kill? Gun? Looking at these pics, I would speculate that maybe the coyotes got to it before it was recovered. I'm also trying to do some algebra and try to score the deer. Difficult to do with just these pics. I'm having a hard time finding the score mentioned. There's no doubt I am probably wrong and there's no doubt that I wish it was mine!!

I don't know about the score, but it does look like a nice set of ivory.

However, if that is after taxidermy I would get my money back :cool:

I'm interested to in the story behind this magnificent animal! Hope you have news for us soon.

Grizz

Here are two 5-point sides that score around the 86 inch mark. This makes the gross score of these whitetails at around 192 typical points, likely netting high 180's.

The G2 on both sheds is over 14 inches, for reference. I'm not sure that the right side on the buck in the picture scores higher than either of these sheds. What do you guys think?

jack-mike.jpg

It is my opinion that this whitetail, while truly an outstanding trophy, grosses closer to 185 than 216. But, my eye never was that good on photographs, and I've been known to be fooled in the past!

We recieved this message/pic today and are looking into this as we speak.

MESSAGE FROM A READER...

This is a picture of the possible the new iowa record typical whitetail. We grossley
scored the deer at 216 and 1/2 with/out any deductions, but with deductions his total
scores is 208
The greatest spread = 24.5 inches. The inside spread = 22.5 inches. the spread from tip
of beam to tip of beam is 21 inches.

adeer4.jpg

yeah right....look at the girth of the buck above.....those two sheds are skinny compared to that buck

I must say I'm extremely skeptical about those measurements. No doubt this buck is impressive and has some huge H measurments, but there is far too much asymetry there for this thing to equal those typical measurements. I could be wrong, it's hard to tell from a photo, but I doubt this is anything near 208.

Jerad, the H1 measurement of the 2 typical sheds as pictured above are (L) 6 1/8 and (R) 5 7/8.

Have a look in your copy of the Boone and Crockett record book and let us know how many are around the 6 inch mark. I'll save you the trouble.....very, very few.

Here is an estimated score that represents a best case scenario for the whitetail pictured at the top of this thread. If I'm wrong, it's an overestimate.

Right antler: Left antler:

Main: 25 Main: 25
G1: 8 G1: 8
G2: 14 G2: 14
G3: 12 G3: 12
G4: 8 G4: 1
H1: 6 H1: 6
H2: 5.5 H2: 5.5
H3: 5.5 H3: 5.5
H4: 5 H4: 5

Total 89 82

Using the stated 22.5 inside spread, Gross Typical = 193.5, net would be mid 180's.

Take a look at my measurements and decide for yourselves which are high and which are low.

Sorry Tony, this wasn't directed at anyone in particular! I've just never seen world-class sheds called 'skinny' before!

Tony,
The deer in question is NOT a new state record. One heck of a buck though. The man thinks it was a deer that was bow shot last November and was not recovered until this spring. The body was pretty much intact with an entry wound in the same spot as the bowhunter had said he had shot it.

Thanks Droptine!
You answered a bunch of the questions I had a hard time avoiding in my 1st post. I think it is obvious that the deer was found dead quite awhile after his demise. He looks like he's all chewed up and rotten looking and has a dirt stained antler and he don't look state record class. I still would like to know the score. And, it raises another question. Does the guy who thinks he shot it the previous year tag it and enter it into P&Y and/or B&C? I think I know what the law says he can do.

Super Buck! But I dont see 200" of horn in these pictures. I be guessing he may gross around 185". I Have been fooled before with pictures. And he is way bigger than anything I have taken just a super buck.

HBH

hey thanks for the expert info. nothern whatever....i was just stating that the buck looked thicker than those two sheds....and sorry i dont have my book handy.....thanks for the "expert" info but the truth is you dont know what it scores either....noone will until someone gets that deer scored....

All,

We are trying to contact the original sender of this e-mail/photo without response as of yet. If we do get a response and receive permission it will be officially scored by a qualified measurer.

We hesitate to speculate either way, and do appreciate the original contact. We at Iowa Whitetail feel all whitetail deer are trophies and if this particular animal scores well, great. If he isn't the "New State Record" he is still a dandy buck well worth the attention.

The Staff

No problem Jerad, glad I could help out with your understanding of world class whitetails.

If you hang around the whitetail community long enough, you see this type of thing time and time again. It just becomes a bit of a cliche after a while.

Garry Donald is the editor of Big Buck Magazine and he calls it the 'inflated score syndrome', as he hears about 10 or 12 potential world records or 200+ typicals every year. 99.9999999% of these whitetails are outstanding, but nowhere near the top of the heap.

And on that note, I'll wait for the scoresheet on this tremendous Iowa whitetail. Hopefully no feelings are hurt!

The deer in question was found by the property owner and he is going to have something done with it. I had the antlers in my hands yesterday (5-1) and visited with the man about it. I didn't have time to put a tape on it but he was telling me some of the measurements that were done and it didn't get measured correctly.
Anyway it is a tremendous for central Iowa!

Sorry to be late to the party but the lightning storm we had in Western Iowa last night kept my PC shutdown.

In all honesty we hesitated to post the message and pic but felt it was worthy of discussion among my astute whitetail colleague's.

It brings up several interesting points but first I must thank "droptine" for confirming some details that were lacking. I also am glad Northern Whitetails ( Mike Borle ) is contributing to the Conference. I know he has held more big antlers in his hands than I ll ever see in my lifetime.

All in all it seems like things are on the up and up with this buck and we should get an official score soon. The buck has great mass and as an Iowan I am proud it comes from my home state.

Finally, as always we at Iowa Whitetail appreciate everyones posts, e-mail and contact on whitetail deer issues in the state of Iowa and beyond. The communication we all share should be used as an education tool looked at with an open mind. There will always be some form of miscommunication and as in the issue it has been handled with tact and respect.

In the following days going into next week several thousand new readers will be reading these posts and hopefully they find this site as well as it's readers a knowledgeable medium for information and education on the whitetail deer.

Thanks for visiting!

Respectfully,

Tony Hough, Founder - iowawhitetail.com -

I think the most the deer would gross score would be in the 170's. Truly a heck of a deer though!! I'd shoot it
grin.gif

KANSAN! I hope all is well south of the border. Jody AKA Kansan knows big whitetails, and he has a Pope and Young typical on his wall that gross scores 188 2/8 and nets 182 5/8. So, he's probably not far off the mark!

Hey Mike I've got some new shed pics, you want some for your site?
smile.gif

Droptine. I know the guy in the picture and have been around his place a few times. I was good friends with both of his boys while they were in college. I might have to give him a call and check it out. I assume that it was found around his place? I know that they have gotten some pretty good ones there over the years.

Top Bottom