Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Iowa Record?

Deleted to speed up Forum

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 07-17-2001).]

After looking at the picture it is obvious that the deer does not score 208. A magnificant animal though. I harvested a typical this year that grossed 177 1/8 and he was scored as a typical eight point. Looking at this deer he may have the potential of being a scorable 8 point and if so if he scores in the 180's net he could be a new world record. The world record 8 pt is around 183 I beleive. The deer I harvested has every bit of the mass and beam lenght and close to the tine length of the one pictured. It also had a 22 inch inside spread. A great animal but not anywere near grossing at 216 and netting 208.

The world record eight-pointer was shot by Elisha Hugen and I believe it scores 185 1/8. It's not a "true" eight-pointer because it has an extra G4 making it a 9 pointer by design. My guess for the deer on this thread would be around 175 gross typical.

Personally I find it hard to see a nine or ten point buck such as this one to have a net score over 200 let alone the 180's. I shot a buck this last season that scored 184 1/8 and it was a nice buck. I can not see how this buck could have out scored the one I shot. But it would be interesting to see what it would officially score.

I shot my deer in Iowa. My picture should be on the web site somewhere.

ryanscott.jpg

Mr. Ryan Scott - 184 1/8

Ryan I really think that the buck up top could easliy score that much. I hope that me and you break 180 agian this year for Bow.

the buck was found early this spring while my father was stock chopping some food plots which we maintain for wildlife habitat. It was originally thought to have been arrowed by a local hunter during bow season of last year. The hunter remarked that the deer was of great proportions, but that was the last time the deer was seen. until this spring when the carcass was recovered by accident. the true story is that it is roughly a 174-176 score. we have since had it mounted and it turned out to be a great mount. We didn't mean to get everone excited about the possible record when it wasn't even close, but it still is a very nice trophy whitetail. we have some pictures of the final mount that I will try and post for those who are interested to view the deer. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grizzlyman:
I'm interested to in the story behind this magnificent animal! Hope you have news for us soon.

Grizz
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm the original sender of this photo. The man in the picture is my dad Dennis D. Winter My name is Jake Winter My e-mail address is jawinter@shive-hattery.com. The score is not 208 tha actual score not oficially is somewhere in the mid 170's We would like to have the deer scored professionally by some one who knows what they are doing cause we all know we don't and we apoligize for the wrong score and hope to hear back from anyone wanting to know more details. The deer was found dead this spring while my dad was stock chopping some food plots that we maintain for wildlife habitat. the deer was thought to have been arrowed by a local hunter but was never recovered until this spring, about a mile away from where it was said to have been arrowed. we have since had the deer mounted, and I have some new pictures if anyone wishes to see them e-mail me and I would be happy to send the photos. Sorry about the incorrect score. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iowawhitetail:
All,

We are trying to contact the original sender of this e-mail/photo without response as of yet. If we do get a response and receive permission it will be officially scored by a qualified measurer.

We hesitate to speculate either way, and do appreciate the original contact. We at Iowa Whitetail feel all whitetail deer are trophies and if this particular animal scores well, great. If he isn't the "New State Record" he is still a dandy buck well worth the attention.

The Staff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iowawhitetail:
We recieved this message/pic today and are looking into this as we speak.

MESSAGE FROM A READER...

This is a picture of the possible the new iowa record typical whitetail. We grossley
scored the deer at 216 and 1/2 with/out any deductions, but with deductions his total
scores is 208
The greatest spread = 24.5 inches. The inside spread = 22.5 inches. the spread from tip
of beam to tip of beam is 21 inches.

adeer4.jpg

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jake,

I work on scoring deer all of the time.We have the most asccurate complete record of Iowa deer that exists.

While I am not an official measurer, I can make some suggestions about where to have it done correctly.

It makes a little difference where you live but there is an excellent measurer in Des Moines.

He is Kevin Freymiller 515-287-3634 He is working out of town and hunting elk so scheduling might be a little difficult right now.Holler back at huntiowa@wccta.net if you need any further help.

Top Bottom