Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Madison County Property

Status
  • Deleted by sirrloin

sirrloin

I had my offer accepted on a little bit of property just southeast of Winterset. The back area is low ground with a ravine/funnel point for the surrounding woods and looks like a great spot to put in a food plot. I'm not sure it it'd be best to spray out the grass back there and put something down like clover or a winter blend. This is my first property so I'll probably get an attachment for my 4-wheeler to plant if I decide to spray some of the grass. What do you guys think would be a good approach?
7TBRDRQ.jpg

7TBRDRQ
7TBRDRQ

7TBRDRQ

Last edited:
Interesting the way they have that cropped out. Do you have any experience hunting this property? I would try to take into consideration where your deer movement may come from and how your access too the plot will be determined. Looks like you may be somewhat limited unless you can get permission from the neighbors to hike in across the crop fields.

That's a lot of diversity! Yep, agree on seeing if you could get walking access only from a neighbor. If you could do a plot, be killer if you could do it and keep the pressure off of it or hunt it really carefully. Entrances & exits going to be a big factor as well.

Congrats on the property! I know where that is, some beautiful country and I'm sure there are some big deer around. As far as a food plot, I'm not experienced with them but it seems diversity is best so maybe a portion of it clover and a portion brassicas or some sort of cereal grain. Good luck!!

Start a screen up front so that's more huntable. I dont have much road frontage but after 5 years of ownership I wish I would have started a screen on day one... Transplanting cedars is pretty easy in early spring

Cool, beautiful area. Congrats on your purchase. I would think a plot would be a good idea with all that surrounding timber. If you could keep out of it (and the deer) until late season it could be dynamite drawing deer in there seeing that the closest ag field is probably a 1/4 mile to the southeast.

I probably would not be disciplined enough myself to do that.

Status
  • Deleted by sirrloin
Top Bottom