Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New plot questions

Deer Nut

PMA Member
I will be attempting to plant a fall plot in an area that has been crp for many years. Time and equipment are limited. Spray then mow after two weeks or mow then spray? What should i plant to follow crp? Rye, brassicas and radish? Turnips? I'd like to have some green into late muzzleloader season. I'm looking at planting two plots at one acre each. I have a 6 ft cultivating disc but no cultipacker. Any suggestions? I have no idea what I'm doing hahaha!

How tall is the grass? If it's pretty tall I would get it mowed asap. You want to get that sod worked up so maybe wait a week after mowing and spray with gly than a week after that disk it up. That's if you want to get turnips in around 1st of August. You will probably need to add fertilizer for turnips as well. Otherwise you could do rye mix in September or if your plot is big enough you could do both. I just planted some turnips yesterday, a little early but it was a nice day and I was off.

It is 3-5 ft tall. I have access to a JD 2025 with a belly mower but I don't know if that will cut it which is why I was considering killing it first with Gly. Hey since this farm is about 5 miles from yours you can bring over a better mower :) Should I use liquid fertilizer or a granular? Can I pick that up at Orchelns maybe?

You won't get a good kill by spraying stuff that tall. Wish I would of known yesterday could of mowed it than. Maybe we can still work something out. Chemical gro in Houghton can get you fertilizer

I was afraid of that. Well I have to figure something out. I can try to mow it. Maybe one morning next week.

im not a fan of mowing tall stuff like that. If It was me I would spray, burn, re-spray greenup, then proceed. Super clean seed bed that way.

I just prepped an area just like this about a week ago for a fall planting of clover and chicory. I mowed down to a height of about 6 in and then sprayed. Waited about a week and a half until it had really browned up and then went back and mowed with the mower slammed to the ground before discing under. This works well however you will want to remove any thick areas of dead cut grass as it can prevent the disc from properly turning the dirt over(depending upon weight). I then hit it with a harrow with the teeth set very aggressively to prep seed bed. This is my usual prep for any areas that are getting turned under for the first time and I ve always had good luck with the plantings. Might be a little over kill but I figure if I m spending that much time, effort, and money I want it to work.

Farmer says his tractor is 45 hp and it should handle it so I'm trying to mow it tomorrow. To be continued. :)

Well the JD 3720 mowed it with ease. The plots are mowed nice and low. I sprayed gly on each of them and it rained two hours later. I hope it soaked in long enough.

Top Bottom