Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new to IOWA..HELP

S

sixpackbee

hello guys from iowa,
am headed down to the mt.ayr area to whitetail hunt..will be going with a bow and was just wondering what kind of bucks this area holds..I know I am a non-resident and the issues with that..but you cant blame a guy for trying to get in on a good thing..would love to buy a farm out there..maybe if this cook bin-laden doesnt gas us all..just saying hello and cant wait to get out there...doug

View

I hunt this area on a regular basis during bow and shotgun season,for the last 15 yrs and have had good luck on public ground and private.Have taken several 150+ bucks there.Was limited on bow season last year because our son was born nov.17th and I live about an hour and fifteen min.away,but shot a nice 150 class buck closer to home nov.11th.The land we hunt had a 190 class buck on it last year confirmed by a local dnr officer who seen him but news spread fast so had local land jumping during the week when we were not there.Are you using a outfitter?Sandcreek,ringold county,mt,ayre public hunting areas offer great bow hunting.Good hunting!

I hunt this area on a regular basis during bow and shotgun season,for the last 15 yrs and have had good luck on public ground and private.Have taken several 150+ bucks there.Was limited on bow season last year because our son was born nov.17th and I live about an hour and fifteen min.away,but shot a nice 150 class buck closer to home nov.11th.The land we hunt had a 190 class buck on it last year confirmed by a local dnr officer who seen him but news spread fast so had local land jumping during the week when we were not there.Are you using a outfitter?Sandcreek,ringold county,mt,ayre public hunting areas offer great bow hunting.Good hunting!P.S. did you have a tape of the canada buck at the illnois deer show in 2000 I think i saw it?

Way to figure out how to post pics! It's very easy, just seems complicated.

Here is another place you can park your photo's and attach them to this conference.

Hunting-Pictures

Or you can use the Upload function on this site. We use it all the time, you just need to remember to keep your pics small, 72 DPI and 3 x 3 inches no bigger.

Good luck hunting in Iowa! Thanks for the post.

uploadedRubbingBuck.jpg

I took the buck in the picture in 99 in saskatchewan..live weight was 407..he dressed
329..that picture does no justice..he grossed
177 as a 6x6.the next day the guy I was with
took a 7x7 that scored 192 gross..his dressed 265.
99 was a great year for me..saw 2 boonies in an indian reservation near cut knife..sask.
could not get a shot..after shooting the deer
in sask I came home and hunted delaware..
on nov 6 I shot a 147 p&y with a 9 inch drop tine..never knew the buck was there???
later people told me that he was famous in the area and had been shot at before..they then told me of a double drop tine buck in the same area??? never saw him..here is my drop tine p&y
doug

View

I will be hunting with lotts creek..just to get my feet in the door out there..I'd rather do it on my own.I think we will be venturing out in the area..could be a distance away???
will update on what happens...thanks for the info on the area..doug

fatboy..guess your into harleys???
I am headed out there like nov 5th..but its flexiable..
I was at the 2000 illinois show..wow what an
eye opener!!!!!
I did have a video playing of the sask 6x6
maybe you saw it???
hunted illinois last year on my own..saw a nice 150 buck in pike county..2 other 130ish
bucks that I got on video..found out there are way better counties..ala fulton..thats
where I'd hunt..but thats me.great bucks in illinois..found a real nice one dead in the woods..140 5x6..really wide..then went over to fulton county and scouted around..could never get a spot lined up...so here I am in iowa...
I do know there was a 275ish non-typical in that county and have good recon on the sheds from a big 6x6 that grossed 217 typical..the guys not tellin but I think I know the general area..a lot a big non-typicals came from this area in the last few years..one was
that big drop tine buck..like 7 drop tines..
there is a heck of a lot of ground out there..did not kill a deer but found 2 nice
wing cars in a barn over on the illinois river..thats like killing a big buck to me..
you know I must be crazy..
doug

If I cant be in my stand I would rather be riding mt harley! Will be hunting that same area nov 10-18 having that week off,but not sure what days I will be there for sure?

Fatboy,
What a coincidence, I'm a parts manager in Council Bluffs.

Sixpackbee , I was off all last week things were slow in the woods up this way.I did kill a Sika Last week. Maybe I will see you before you go. Is the barn done??

hi joe,
how is it going????
the barn is 90% done...doors must be hung and
concrete floor put in over the next few weeks.
du and the state started the pond the other
day..looks really big..they should be done by next weekend..
went hunting on saturday..saw a black fallow
doe and its fawn..30 yards and never knew I was there..pretty funky..but cool.
I will give you a call this week and see whats going on..hows your girl bobbie????
I am headed off to iowa on the 10th..just about the time you should have a 150 on the ground in good old maryland..later, doug

Top Bottom