Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Newb Questions - Arrows/Heads

Tim Young

Howdy,

SO yesterday at the whitetail event in Des Moines I decided to purchase a bow. I am looking to get back into hunting, and feel as if the technology has passed any of my prior (lacking) knowledge.

I purchased the Bowtech Carbon Icon. It will come set up with everything needed to start shooting except - Arrows/Heads.

Not sure what I am gong to need here as far as preferences/what is best for weight/etc?

I am assuming I will want my practice arrows set up like my hunting arrows (Weight wise)?

Any tips would be very welcomed.

Cheers,

Tim

I'm not the best one to help, but those with more knowledge will want to know what draw poundage the bow is and what your draw length is. Hunting deer?

Hey JnrBronc,

Thanks.

Yes I will be hunting deer. The poundage is 70. Draw length is like 29". I am getting it all set up next week in store. I imagine they will certainly know the answers to the questions I asked above, however, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some additional opinions.

Tim

I shoot the same poundage and the same draw. Going for impact on target I shoot a Victory Vap TKO in a 300 with a 125g tip and a 60g top hat. This arrow weighs in right at 500g total. Super impact down range, in the 90's for KE. Not going to be a super fast arrow, and looks like your bow is rated in the 330's for fps so ultimately they may recommend an arrow that is a tad less stiff. I had a bow with similar specs and started with a 400g arrow and 100g tips but didn't get good results. Switched to a 350g with a 60g insert and 125g head and really liked the result. I wouldn't buy a dozen of one kind to start, unless you really trust your local shop. I also wouldn't buy a box of pre made arrows personally. And they should be right around the same length as your draw length.

Oct-Lull - That's very helpful, thank you! I will keep that in mind!

JnrBronc - Carbon most likely!

Tim

Top Bottom