Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No Big ones yesterday?

Iowa1

Thought I would get on here Sunday morning and see a couple pics of some big bucks shot on opening day... Nothing?

It's pretty quiet huh? I was outside shooting my muzzy yesterday and never heard a shot. Haven't seen a deer hunter all weekend.

Sick to my stomach!!!!!! Went to the farm yesterday and sat in a stand that over looked our bottom and was using the muzzleloader for a farther shot.At about 8:00 i heard a grunt coming from the cedars southeast of me about 200 yards, then 3-4 more grunts and here comes this doe and behind her is the big 10 i saw in bow season (160+), they were coming right at me and i scrambled to undo all the safetys. I stopped him around 30-40 yards, i pulled the trigger all there was was a pop ( the cap went off but not the powder) the deer stood there for 10 seconds then trotted in front of me staying at about 30-40 yards and proceeded to chasing the doe, like nothing even happened!! This would of been my biggest deer, sick to my stomach that it didnt go off, also that i didnt bring the shotgun!! :mad::confused::thrwrck:

Last edited:
Sick to my stomach!!!!!! Went to the farm yesterday and sat in a stand that over looked our bottom and was using the muzzleloader for a farther shot.At about 8:00 i heard a grunt coming from the cedars southeast of me about 200 yards, then 3-4 more grunts and here comes this doe and behind her is the big 10 i saw in bow season (160+), they were coming right at me and i scrambled to undo all the safetys. I stopped him around 30-40 yards, i pulled the trigger all there was was a pop ( the cap went of but not the powder) the deer stood there for 10 seconds then trotted in front of me staying at about 30-40 yards and proceeded to chasing the doe, like nothing even happened!! This would of been my biggest deer, sick to my stomach that it didnt go off, also that i didnt bring the shotgun!! :mad::confused::thrwrck:

I'm guessing you left it loaded prior to that hunt and the powder drew moisture.

Did u shoot a primer through it before you loaded it to blow out the breech?

I guy I hunt with did the same thing last year and it cost him a 150" 10. That may or may not be the cause but I don't know what else it would have been.

My muzz did that twice last year. Thankfully i wasn't aiming at a giant, just a few does. But I'm sure it was because my gun was loaded all weekend and I had it in and out of the cold multiple times.
The only guess I have in your case is maybe a plugged breach. Old primers can do it also. Sorry man that sucks!

The other thing is how many shots through it since it was last cleaned? Did you store it barrel down so it didn't drain moisture back to breach plug after cleaning?

My ritual is to shoot 3 primers through the gun before loading. A lot of guys say its not needed but I hear of this all the time and the only correlation is not shooting primers first.

My ritual is to shoot 3 primers through the gun before loading. A lot of guys say its not needed but I hear of this all the time and the only correlation is not shooting primers first.

I always shoot one primer, usually with the muzzle pointed at something that I can see move with the blast. If it doesn't move= plugged breech.

Liv likes buying primers to stimulate the economy.:grin:

I always shoot one primer, usually with the muzzle pointed at something that I can see move with the blast. If it doesn't move= plugged breech. Liv likes buying primers to stimulate the economy.:grin:
X2 I've had this happen one time; didn't shoot primer after cleaning

Anyone else noticing fewer hunters out this past weekend?

I go 2nd season, but my brother and I took a drive yesterday and only saw 4 different trucks, and one guy on a post. Also, didn't see but a couple deer in the fields

Other than a low population, my thoughts on fewer deer being killed were maybe more are goin 2nd?

Yes where I hunt there is usually 5 or six other groups that hunt first season. And not a single one of them was out there. And they all drive deer and get them running. So between nobody else hunting and the weather. The movement of deer was very slow. But we managed to get a few deer. One nice buck and a few does.

Not to sound "bad", but my group feeds off of other groups moving deer into creeks and isolated patches.. so its kind of exciting to think there will be plenty of people keeping deer on their feet!:)

But I honestly have never seen so few hunters during 1st in my area...

A relative of the landowner goes 1st and he saw a bunch of deer and killed a few(2 does and his buck) on Saturday, but only heard 5 shots and saw only a few other guys out.

Top Bottom