Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No till drill

mzldr4life

Going to be purchasing a no till drill for our food plots this year. The combination of discing, broadcasting and packing gets to be very labor intensive and a big chunk of time. What is everyone using out there for drills? Anything I should keep in mind when researching these? Not going to be planting any native grasses with it, would like to have the ability to plant a variety of food plots with it.

Good questions. Hopefully you get an answer.......... I would like to do this also, but only have a 4 wheeler. No idea if there's an option for me.

rtpoutdoors has the Genesis series. New for 2017 is the Genesis 3 that can be pulled with a gator, ranger etc.
If I remember right the cost was $8000-9000. Pricey for only a 3' wide path but it does look quality

I was looking at the genesis also. But the 5 footer weights 2600 lbs, too heavy for my 60 hp Kubota that is rated for 2300.

Do they have small seed boxes? I see one seed, which generally is for beans, rye, oats, grains... large stuff. Alfalfa, clover, switchgrass, WHATEVER, does anyone know if you can run that?

Other ideas.... Ya, geesh, I think even a small GP drill is gonna be $12-15k I bet.
I wonder if a guy did a search on something like Tractorhouse for OLD drills. For example (I don't know the answer).... Could a guy get a CHEAP 6' Tye drill for example and get parts for it. Buy it dirt cheap I bet. I'd prefer to buy a USED drill SMALL. Because, after you rebuild rows, costs add up high. No way I'd buy big drills used, no way, no how (cause I can run em but I can't rebuild em) - cost you a sale of a kidney to rebuild a big drill & "MOST" the time guys sell em, gonna need ton of crap (why many sell em- unfortunately) & it's hard to identify some of the items. I dropped $15k on a larger deere drill rebuild and a year later another $7k on all the CRAP it needed and the outrageous labor & parts prices. So, $22k on just the rebuild - no way, never again. Add to that - Deere drills suck! ;) I like Deere but they suck in the "drill" department (their more modern ag drills like 1560 & 750, etc - SUCK!!!!).
I got a new drill and baby it. GP & I like it but it's big & not cheap, not cost practical for smaller purposes like some plots. For plots, etc - I'd look for SMALL & LOW COST & plan to put some $ into it to dial it in.

Last edited:
Drills are like many things in life, binoculars, bulldozers and attorneys you get what you pay for. I have 2 drills my first one was bought used with about 7000 acres on I have replaced most of the coulters, and disc openers once some twice. Still have it and have it in the barn in a million pieces being rebuilt. I shopped long and hard for my new drill and almost bought new " these also plant warm seasons so new is about 35" finally found one owned by a local hunter/land manager with 400 acres on it in mint condition. For folks that may only plant 20-30 acres a year I would try to coop with some like minded people your area or rent some nrcs offices have them available.

I would look into the soil and water conservation districts for drills to rent. Typically about 10 bucks per acre.
I ended up buying a drill myself as I was in same boat as you. I have a 7 ft great plains 705nt. You can find them used for 6 to 10k. But you will need to rebuild at a price of about 400.00 per row.
Look look look some more and you will find them.

Top Bottom