Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NO TILL vs traditional Tillage, soil video- really good

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member

I saw this video and thought it had some really interesting aspects on no till vs tillage - how they make it visual and simple is very good. No doubt I'm a nerd on this stuff so I find it interesting. Also- if u want some good info, keep watching some of these where they dig out soil pits to show differences in soil practices from surface to 6' under the Ground. and watch some on cover crops. Interesting stuff that I will bet would change the way you plant your farm if u spend a little time understanding the dynamics of all the options out there. Really good stuff. FYI.

Pretty interesting Skip. For those of us with a limited amount of equipment it will make it easier and cheaper. I have been paying a neighbor for use of his big equipment on some of my plots.

Thank you for sharing. We are in our 3rd year of no tilling hopefully we start to see some of those benefits. The biggest issue is weed control.

No till is a good start....but don't stop there! Look at building soil health thru more natural systems.
Imagine instead of having corn stubble crop fields each winter that you have 100's of acres of oats,turnips,clovers,wheat,brassica mixtures. That will create landscape effect of winter food for whitetails.
Look at the new world record killed in tennessee....it was killed in county with thouSands of acres of soil health cover crops being used......
Best part for the farmer is that usda and other partners are helping teach farmers and help pay for for planting soil health mixes. Win for farmer...win for environment....wind for hunters.

Rent one....lol
Soil health cover crops may not be the perfect fit for food plot guys. Food plots should be only 1 to 5 percent of landscape. So till away if you want. But soil moisture will be reduced with tillage. If you planting a wheat plot for fall only just to kill a deer...then your not likely worried about moisture. But if you planting beans in spring to be hunted in late winter...then moisture is critical as it takes 4 to 5 months to produce.

But if you interested in landscape changes then soil health cover crops are viable options.

Top Bottom