Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non-Resident Deer Tags Issued ( Historical )

A

Admin

I talked to my old friend Larry Wilson at the Iowa DNR and had them gather the factual numbers on the number of NR Deer Tags that have been issued. I think this information is helpful with our continued discussions and debates.

licensedoc.jpg

These are the factual numbers as given by the Iowa DNR. Now I realize the variables for determining number of licenses issued varies but there are some constants that are used.

Go ahead and kick this information around and I will try to gather what those constants that the DNR uses from Dick Bishop and post those as well. I also have a call into Willi Suchy and will get his opinion on the health of the herd and see how the arial spotting turned out this winter.

[This message has been edited by TLH (edited 03-16-2001).]

FYI - How the state determines deer population.

"The State of Iowa uses several teqhniques when monitoring deer population trends. These are 1 )an aerial survey conducted in January and February after deer seasons are completed, 2 ) a spotlight survey conducted in April, and 3 ) a record of the number of deer killed on Iowa's rural highways. All these correlate well wth the reported harvest over the last 15 years and appear to provide reliable predictors of annual changes in the population because of high variability in the survey conditions.

Deer populations for the state as a whole appear to level off during the past 2 to 3 years ( Fig 1.8 ). All three surveys are slightly higher than they were during the last time deer numbers peaked in the late 1980's ( Table 1.10 ). The aerial survey conducted after the 1998 season ( Jan and Feb 1998 )was up 18% from the previous year. Conditions for the survey were good in most areas. Part of the increase may have been due to the fact that most counts were conducted under much better conditions than the previous year. Count in parts of Southern Iowa were down 10 - 30%.

The number of deer killed on rural highways decreased by about 5% in 1998. When this number is adjusted for the increase in vehical miles driven, it was down 8%. This was nearly the same as was recorded in 1998.

The number of deer seen per 25 mile route on the spotlight survey was about the same. Although the mean number of deer reported per route has stayed about the same over the past 3 years".

Reference: Trends in Iowa Wildlife Population and Harvest, 1998 - Iowa DNR

graph1.jpg

Here is the number of deer harvested each year since 1953 - 1998.

test1.jpg

How can the DNR say how many deer were havested when they don't know the exact number that were really harvested? In all the years I have been hunting I have only recieved one of those survey sheets and that was for turkey season.

Top Bottom