Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non resident land owner needs does harvested

bbloom96

I own 360 acres in southern IA. I have a mix of crp, crops, timber, and pollinator program.

Given the limited amount of tags I am able to get between bow tag every 3-4 years and occasional shotgun doe tags, I am over run with does.

Is there any depredation tag program my farmer could use so that he or his family could harvest a bunch of does to control the herd? They would eat several, but probably need to donate some to HUSH or local Amish.

On the years that I draw an archery tag, am I able to buy extra doe tags to thin the heard?

I would like to invite a few locals to harvest does as well. How many doe tags can residents buy?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Depredation tags may be available but those deer are left in field. (Used to be that way) A biologist comes out to assess damage and decides the appropriate amount.
A person can purchase as many antlerless tags as they wish as long as they are available in your county.
There used to be a late season that non residents could hunt antlerless only. Maybe even the shotgun season. I’m not sure if it’s still there but might be something to look into. It was something like $200 for the tag. If so, the bonus antlerless tags should be available.

What county are you in. We always have doe tags to use. NVM, looks like Wayne

Good info above from seven twenty.

Many years ago my Dad, brother, grandpa, and I had permission on a beautiful farm in SE Iowa where we were just allowed to shoot does during late muzzleloader season to help the landowner (who was also a hunter) thin the doe numbers. We always looked forward to that 2-3 day doe hunt and those are some of my very best hunting memories. I'd say getting a couple locals you trust or the farmer and his family to target some does would be an excellent idea to help keep numbers in check.

A buddy of mine gets depredation tags that we use. You can keep the deer same as any license. They don't count against the county quota and cost the same as your second doe tags. $15 I believe. Contact your local CO and he will put you in contact with the biologist and they will come out and assess damages. Wrong time of year for that now though unless crops are still in but I'm pretty sure its too late. Typically will come in the summer months. They will determine number of tags issued based on assessed damage.

Top Bottom