Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Non Resident Landowner Rant

I don't think the DNR should receive the big pat on the back that you are giving them...

#1-They supported more NR tags
#2-They considered moving the gun season into November
#3-They agreed to a January rifle season that kills countless shed bucks

The reason Iowa is a great big buck state is the December gun season, limiting NR helps...I personally would not ask for unlimited tags, a small portion of tags to NR landowners is the answer in my opinion.

Most of this argument would go away if you allocated a portion of the tags to NR landowners...6000 total tags, have 1500 go to landowners?

That being said, if nothing changes, I'm ok with it, and sureshot, I always like reading your post, so no harm meant, just pointing out

Hardwood, same respect to you. I guess that if they did those things, I wasn't aware of it, and I do try to keep on top of what is going on in the state.

When did the IDNR say that they supported more NR tags? Also, a gun season in November? Are you talking about the doe season that we had?

As far as the late antlerless season goes, I agree with you, it needs to end. I did notice that it is a week shorter this year which is good news for those who enjoy hunting Iowa or are going to hunt Iowa someday.

Hardwood, same respect to you. I guess that if they did those things, I wasn't aware of it, and I do try to keep on top of what is going on in the state.

When did the IDNR say that they supported more NR tags? Also, a gun season in November? Are you talking about the doe season that we had?

As far as the late antlerless season goes, I agree with you, it needs to end. I did notice that it is a week shorter this year which is good news for those who enjoy hunting Iowa or are going to hunt Iowa someday.

There is a transcript online quoting the DNR. It was a few years ago, they said at one time they recommended moving the gun season up to late November but met huge resistance(which is good!)

The NR tags...they recommended an increase to 8000 I think. I read a lot, probably too much, that is what they supported at one time??

Don't get me wrong, I'd take your DNR over ours-MN. Our gun season starts on November 3rd this year (what a joke)

Another one of these! I guess i look at it this way, you for one reason or another chose to live in missouri. Obviously your reason for living there outweighs the fact that you cant hunt iowa every year. Thats nobodys fault but your own. I understand your side of the argument but really in the end its what YOU chose to do, not the state of iowa. These rules and regs have been around for years. Com'on people.

kbnelson3 said:
we didn't even buy our farms for hunting. We got them for the timber and the price was right.

Then why did you buy timber ground??? If you didn't buy it for hunting??

Then why did you buy timber ground??? If you didn't buy it for hunting??

I guess i didn't make it obvious enough, for the timber. When you buy timber anymore, once in a while you come across an opportunity that can supply the mills with wood while at the same time being an investment opportunity.

Our biggest farm will stay in the family forever, I dont see that ever changing. We have residents that hunt it, their kids hunt it, and I'm proud of that. Ive grown up with some amazing pieces of property to call home, but I'll never forget when we sold our 750 acre farm in Wisconsin. I knocked on doors for different places to hunt that year in WI, I know how it goes. I want to make sure the sport grows and people always have a place to hunt and I'd never want to take away someone's place to hunt. Heck, the residents I hunt with are the best you could ask for and they've become some of my best hunting buddies. I'm just sick and tired of seeing non-resident landowners be vilified as a bunch of whiny rich guys wanting to bend the rules to their favor. All I'm saying is that supporting a DNR that gives out 100 passes a season to rich guys or guys that make a stupid hunting video to promote deer hunting, that make rich guys in other states want to buy/lease every acre in Iowa, it's absurd. You can't sit here and rip on people wanting to buy land when your own DNR created the demand for it. Whether I'm an Iowa resident or not, I'm looking forward to passing the farm I grew up running around on to my kids and their grandkids.

And we'll always be proud to be Badgers :drink1:

I do got to believe that none of us really support the governor tags. You are correct though, the DNR started the hype. I also believe technology played a hand in that too. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can get on iowawhitetail.com and see giants put down every year.

It is what it is and the law is the law. I do believe the law is intended for the greater good for the Iowa resident hunter.

I do know this though. I have never complained about having to put in for a draw out West. It is expected for good areas to hunt. I don't own land in another state so I don't know what it is like. I got to believe though if I bought it fully knowing the law and that I wouldn't be able to hunt it every year I really don't have a leg to stand on.

Moving out of state is a choice that is made. My boss asked me one time if I would ever consider moving to our corporate office in Illinois to make the big bucks. I said well, if I couldn't stay here in Iowa, I guess I would have to find another job. It is what it is.

The knocking g on doors deal is few and far between from what I've seen, in terms of people actually doing it. We own ground and hunt on private ground. Nobody ever asks us to hunt. Very rarely do any of the landowners have someone stop and ask, in the event they do they will get me or my brothers phone number and call us to ask. We just let a guy and his wife have half the farm for early muzzy season. There is plenty of land and deer for everyone that puts the time in to find it.
The NR deal. You knew the rules going in to the purchase or the changing of hand do to a death In the family or whatever the circumstances may be. Manage the ground likeep crazy and treat every tag you draw like gold. The reason Iowa is so great is because of the rules and regs that protect mature deer from firearms during the rut.
I don't by into the late doe season being a huge problem like some. Anybody that's management oriented knows the difference between a shed buck and a doe. The people shooting shed bucks are the guys that shouldn't be allowed to hunt anyway.
Last year the bucks didnt shed until after that season had been closed for 3 weeks. It's not the shed bucks I worry about. It Is the ones still carrying. We use that season to manage the absurd amount of does on some properties

Very Cool, that you invited others onto a property you were hunting, when you could of just said, "I don't think so".

Around here most of the adult bucks shed during january, last year.

The people that fill the late season tags here, are mostly big groups of gun hunters, just pushing deer and filling tags, with no thought to shooting the right deer.

1st off hardwood11 your wrong on both of your 1st two points.

agree with you that the Jan season has to go and luckily for us in the NE it now has.

I don't agree with the gov tags at all but they've been around longer then the video hunts (mostly) craze. and jus for the record it wasn't the DNR that empowered these. it was high ranking officals that wanted family members that moved away to be able to hunt.

now for anyone that says "well it came from their office". can you guess where the DNR orders come from?

1st off hardwood11 your wrong on both of your 1st two points.

agree with you that the Jan season has to go and luckily for us in the NE it now has.

I don't agree with the gov tags at all but they've been around longer then the video hunts (mostly) craze. and jus for the record it wasn't the DNR that empowered these. it was high ranking officals that wanted family members that moved away to be able to hunt.

now for anyone that says "well it came from their office". can you guess where the DNR orders come from?

Go to the Drury Bros/Iowa DNR conversation (watch each segment) and you will find that I am not wrong on the first two points.

Iowa

2dblind: In 2008 the Iowa DNR supported additional NR tags. This information was printed on a popular website called Iowawhitetail.com

Look it up, it still shows up if you do a search

The bearded guy (I don't remember the name) from the DNR stated (during the Drury roundtable) that at one time they--The DNR tried to move the gun season up to November, but they were met with resistance by bow hunters (which is awesome!) Also found on popular website called
Iowawhitetail.com

Now if you work for the DNR.... sorry, meant no offense,,,, but I am just going by what I read on this site

actually I know for a fact. here's how this stuff goes. the DNR has public meetings or have enough ppl that show interest in something then meetings. this isn't something they one day just pulled out of a hat. I'll agree that they could have brought it up for input because they thought it might be what ppl wanted because they had enough individuals request it but when taken a closer look its not what the majority wanted. that doesn't mean it was their idea. they're the department that's suppose to govern these things so if they didn't bring it up who would? doesn't make it their brain child.

no offense taken at all. like I said above almost all of these deer regs come from the capital building pressure. its just like the boating and fishing regs 99% of those come outta the Iowa great lakes. again they're the ones that are suppose to bring them up. doesn't make it their idea. while this is a great site not everything on here is legit but what you're referring to could be. I'm just not gonna go look for it cause its annoying on my Droid.

You could always sell the farm and use the proceeds to buy some hunting ground close to where you live. Not trying to stir the pot, just an idea...

NWBuck

Same old argument on here. What may be good for one piece of ground is not always what is best for the entire state. New thread old debate.

HEY! Don't you guys know that the NR vs. Res. season doesn't start until late January and runs to about opening of Turkey season? This is deer season and it's about to get good.

But I'll add this, referring to Hardwoods statement about gun season in the rut. Pretty sure the one time the IDNR tried to put the gun season in the rut is when it was introduced. The resistance they got to doing that came from hunters who wanted a month to chase pheasants before they opened deer season.

Iowa

no offense taken at all. like I said above almost all of these deer regs come from the capital building pressure. its just like the boating and fishing regs 99% of those come outta the Iowa great lakes. again they're the ones that are suppose to bring them up. doesn't make it their idea. while this is a great site not everything on here is legit but what you're referring to could be. I'm just not gonna go look for it cause its annoying on my Droid.

The DNR proposed it, but yes it was met with resistence (IBA) etc...Which I think is great, I am not ripping on DNR, I am just saying that your state has a large politically active group and that is why the hunting (one full month-November-with no guns) makes Iowa the place to be in November during the rut.

If other states like my home state (MN) followed Iowa's lead, we would have similar hunting.

sureshot said:
We all know that this is a pointless debate, and that we aren't going to change anyones opinion on IowaWhitetail...

Actually it has changed my mind since I have joined here, I used to wish y'all would give more NR tags. Now after reading all the comments over the last few years and hunting there a few times , I really wish other states would adopt Iowas regs. Like you said at least now I know it will be a great hunt. If MO and KS did that , then I would have a great state to hunt each year.

Top Bottom