Non Resident Shed Dogs

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by David, Feb 11, 2020.

1. David

David New Member

Hey Guys new member here. I'm beginning my research as a NR and have been studying game laws and practices of Iowa DNR. I have 3 points and will apply this year for a tag in Zone 5. I was going to do Zone 6 because its closer to home (Tennessee) but I may have gained permission on a 250 acre farm in Davis County and its relatively close to public land. So I'm going to apply for zone 5. I am driving up in the next two weeks to do some shed hunting/scouting. I want to bring my shed dog along to possibly hunt up some public ground too. I seen where the regs state I needed to possess all of his up to date shots and health records while he was in the state but I could not find anything on the use of dogs on public ground in the form of shed hunting. Any help is appreciated.

iahunter55 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Khughes2345

Khughes2345 PMA Member

I take my dog with me every time I go for the last 10 years. He usually jumps right over them, don’t think he’s ever found one. But to answer your question, there is no laws against taking your dog on public ground or state parks

Daver likes this.
  4. Slick

Slick Active Member

Doubtful you will get a tag in Zone 5 with 3 points.

5. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Your shed dog will have to wait three years to look for sheds. He must apply and then draw with the other dogs. Might be a better idea to pick a zone that doesn't have as many shed dogs looking? My dog only had to wait 2 years and (she) drew an any shed tag, she was pumped!!. Good luck!!
    (*sarcasm)

bluedog69, MN Slick and Daver like this.
  6. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

This is correct. Only 4% of tags issued had 3 points. 4 points is guaranteed.

7. Jdubs

Jdubs Well-Known Member

I drew with 3 points in 2017. Put in. But I agree with Hardwood your Shed Dog is a different story. May need 4 shed points.

Hardwood11 likes this.
  8. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Point creep has changed that. 2019 draw statistics are posted on DNR website. I'd guess no one draws with 3 points in 2020.

9. Daver

Daver PMA Member

We have had one of our labs with us on various shed hunts, although I don't think they know what a shed is and they have never found one. :) I know of no prohibitions on taking a dog with you on a shed hunt, whether they can find one or not. :)

But, I was going to say that even this early in the year...make sure your dog is protected from ticks. Although not nearly as common in the late winter as say April and May, I have still found them at this time. Good luck.

Hardwood11 likes this.
  10. m_kat

m_kat Member

I shed hunt with a dog as well.

Just an FYI, there are rules governing the use of dogs on state parks and WMA's.

In state parks they are supposed to be on a leash at all times.

In state game areas they are prohibited after March 15 till mid July.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Places-to-Go/State-Parks/Make-a-Reservation/State-Park-FAQs

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/iac/chapter/571.51.pdf

571—51.5(481A) Dogs prohibited—exception. Dogs shall be prohibited on all state-owned game management areas, as established under authority of Iowa Code section 481A.6, between the dates of March 15 and July 15 each year;

11. David

David New Member

I appreciate the info kat. Is there snow up there in Davis Co.

12. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Someone I know said that there was still "too much snow" in the timbers to do well there and that was as of last weekend in Davis County. It may have melted more since though.

13. Oct-Lull

Oct-Lull Active Member

My lab has found 5 so far this year with no training. Guess I am lucky.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

203ntyp likes this.