Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Noodling Time!

That last 20 miles of the Skunk is the only part of it that i fish. You have some DNR authority. If you ok it with them, bring the camera down this way and when the water goes down we will do some mid-august skunk noodlin. I wont gauruntee success but i wont quit until my fingers are gone. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Alright well im pretty sure were gonna go down to a farm in Northeast Missouri this weekend and do some arrowhead hunting in a creek. It also holds flatheads so were going to try this noodling thing. I was talking to my great aunt earlier and she said my great grandpa used to "grabfish" she called it, in the creek down there and he has pictures of some big flatties he pulled out of there. One of them tore the skin off the top of his hand. Does anyone know if the fish are still in the holes? spawn is over around here isnt it?

Nevermind i just googled it. Missouri noodling season is open from June 1st to July 15th. Gotta buy a permit and report hwo you did within 10 days even if you didnt catch any. Might have to give it a shot.

Noodling 101....Sorry guy's, I haven't been of the computer for the last couple days.Yes the fish will still be on the nest.You can actually start in april and go until late july.Maybe longer, thats just when we quit and start setting lines.Any time of year these fish rest in holes and can be grabbed.The spawning season is best because the fish are real agressive and will bite you rather than you having to move the fish to get youre hands in his/her mouth.
For starters you always want to go with at least 2 to 3 guys and a boat.We use a small jon boat(14' muddy's been in it) and just drag it behind us while were wading.We use a 3' to 4' piece of pvc pipe to probe for holes.

We usually have one guy in the boat and a guy on each bank.We take the piece of conduit and wade the banks and probe the holes as we go. When you find a hole with a fishin it, it will HIT LIKE A M80!
There is no mistaking a flathead from a freaking turtle,beaver,snake.A catfish nest will drop off right at the enterence.A beaver or muskrat will go a foot or so and then go upward. BACK OUT!

If you find a flats nest you will know it! Go down and be ready to get bit. It's a rush!..........HOLD ON!!!!!!!!

Another little tip.We seem to find our holes close to riffles.Usually on the down stream side.I'm guessing because of the higher oxygen content.Also we find most of our holes where big root systems are hanging out of the bank.

Like I said,When you get one to bite you're stick you can hear the thump from 20 ft. away.It sounds like a big boom under water.
The first time you get bit you'll need toilet paper,I promise. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Good luck!

The weekend of bating lines was fun enough down there KHH, maybe I should block aside some time for noodling? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

How's Gump doing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The weekend of bating lines was fun enough down there KHH, maybe I should block aside some time for noodling? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

How's Gump doing? </div></div>

Gumps been busy.He hasn't been fishing one time with me this year.The railroad has him gone all the time.

We had no luck noodling this last weekend.From what we was told their was a group of guys that hit our holes the day before.Wish I was posting pics!

Top Bottom