Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November 19th Buck

Going into this season, I hadn't killed a buck since 2008. I had eaten tag soup over, and over, and over again. In that time, I had several good encounters with some great bucks but every time it seemed like something would work against me.

Over the summer, trail cameras showed there were several nice bucks running around the farms I hunt. Nothing huge, but I decided if any of those bucks stepped out in front of me that fall, they would get an arrow.

One of the bucks I got pictures of was spending his time on two different sections, both of which I could hunt. He had a split G2, a couple kickers and short brows.
picture.php

picture.php

Fast-forward to Monday, Nov. 19. I had the whole week off for Thanksgiving break and I intended to use it for some time in the stand. When my alarm clock went off that morning, I almost decided to sleep in but told myself I couldn't kill anything in bed.

At first light I started seeing deer. A couple small bucks made their way from the corn and walked by my stand. Shortly later I see several fawns playing in the pasture 100 yards away. They move on and pretty soon I spot a big doe working her way through the cornfield behind me. Before I know it, she is right at the base of my tree and doesn't appear to be in any hurry to leave. I thought for sure she would bust me, snort, and warn every deer in the area of my presence.

While she stood there I could hear a couple bucks putting their heads together not far away, but because of the thick cedars I couldn't see them. While looking in the direction of the rattling, I caught movement to my left. It was the buck with the split G2. My first reaction was to grunt at him and turn him my way, but the big doe was still milling around underneath me. I didn't want to spook her. I watched as he disappeared into the cedars.

A short time passed and I see some does and fawns coming through the cedars. They kept looking behind them as if something was following. Then, he stepped out. He was grunting and carrying on, his mind was on the ladies. I watched him follow does around in the cedars for probably 10 minutes before they lead him right into my shooting lane at 30 yards. I let the arrow fly and watched it disappear behind his shoulder. He ran 50 more yards and fell.
picture.php

He isn't the biggest buck in the woods but I am really proud of him. This was my first buck with a bow and I couldn't be happier. I scored him real quick a few days ago and came up with 137 5/8 gross. He has 9 scorable points, he busted off his two kickers. One would have been about 2 inches, the other might have made 1 inch. Oh well!

Congrats to everyone who has filled a tag and good luck to everyone looking to get one down before shotgun season starts.

Well done man! He's a great buck for anyone, let alone your first bowkill. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.

Top Bottom