Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November movement

Felt like October 14th and 15th to me this weekend besides one 3.5+ buck that was with a doe both mornings. Other than that, I didn't see a whole lot happening in central Iowa.

Last weekend I was in southern Iowa and saw decent chasing but it was all 1.5 year olds and 2.5 year olds. I think I might have seen two bucks the entire weekend that were 3.5 or older. On the way home though we saw a 160 inch 10 point with a doe right next to the interstate.

Saw three different shooters this weekend and passed up a fourth buck that I may regret passing. Would've been knocking on the door of 150. Last couple days were awesome. Mature bucks were moving. Can't wait until next weekend.

I can't buy a good sit. Tried a sit 100yds or so into the timber tonight saw 7 doe milling around then a forky splits them and goes opposite direction. Later 3-4 doe follow by another forky. 5:25 get down walk towards the field and notice some movement in the field. Sneek to the edge and sit and watch 3 bucks running does all over the field. Hard to tell with the low light but I could def see bigger racks. The day I forego the field edge stand is the the day they are in the field and vice versa. My luck!

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Bucks are locked down right now in my area for sure. Friday evening I did see 5 bucks but I was sitting as close as I could get between 2 main bedding areas. One of those bucks (Giant) acted like he had a doe bedded down. He came out right behind two 2.5 year olds and looked to be just walking them away from his doe. They walked right under me but he held up in the brush 60 yards away just watching them. He turned around and went right back where he came from. Yesterday evening with the wind blowing 90 mph was a pretty cool evening. Deer were not moving and it hit 4:30 and I turned around to see a buck chasing a doe about 300 yards behind me. I thought what the hell, the wind is right for where they were and I decided to stalk and use the noise of the wind to my advantage. Sure enough it worked and I had them running around me at 20 yards. I actually have video of them breeding 15 yards in front of me with me on the ground. It was one of the coolest things I have seen in the woods. He presented me a shot 3 or 4 times but he was a really nice 3 year old that just needs some time.

Pretty eventful Sunday from 8-10 with multiple 3yos, but that's about it in an all day sit. Saw a spike and one doe in the evening in what I thought felt like would be a great evening. No response to antlers or grunting. I was bored so tried to spice it up. Crazy year for sure. Not much on camera 'cept one new guy and the pic only showed 1/2 of his rack, but it was a nice one. Night time movement from one I'm picking up.

Got back yesterday from 5 days in southern Iowa with 5 guys. 4 hunting good private in good neighborhoods and me various public areas. Of the 4 one killed an old 142" 8pt. Everyone including myself saw plenty of deer. They all pasted up multiple bucks that I would have shot on public. I saw 2 shooters one 45'd the intersection I was on and i had no shot through cover. The other chased does under my stand 2 days in a row but was missing 1/2 his rack. Bucks with doe, following does, looking for does. Lot's of mature bucks seen at night paired off with doe. Saturday night was my best sit. Lots of lone fawns but plenty still with mom. Also, doe are spooky and avoiding bucks. Watched a 2 year old walk into a section I knew some does were bedded in and they actually blew at him and they all got out of there. Couple days to take care of work and family and I'm heading back down.

Last edited:
My area has been very hit and miss as well as far a rutting activity. While out hunting, I've only seen two nice bucks actually chasing does. I've seen quite a few dinks nosing does around but that's pretty normal. From my house I have seen a couple nice bucks chasing but I have yet to really see anything "let loose". I have Thursday and Friday off this week. Planning to sit all day both days in a pinch point between two bedding areas. The weather is looking great except for the wind on Thursday. Either way, I'll be out in it.

Got out yesterday again. Saw a full on chase with decent buck going after a doe hard. Saw him veer off and jump a fence to get in front of the doe. They were going just about as fast as me. I was driving on my way to hunt. Thought that was a good sign. Went to a spot that usually has deer moving in midday. Stayed on the ground. Tried rattling a few times over the course of an hour late morning with nothing coming to it. Decided to head the direction of one of my stands, down a treed fenceline. Ran into a spike sleeping. Then a young doe or fawn. Then a few more, at least two doe fawns and couldn't tell if the 3rd was a fawn as well or the doe. No mature bucks, or even 2.5 yr olds. No rut movement, just deer milling around browsing.

Just looked at some pics from a card I pulled yesterday. Had a decent buck walk by a stand around noon on 11/13. Might have sat that stand with the wind that day. Not sure on age, so may have passed him anyway. One of the best pulls of the season (spanning 10/25-11/15), but most of the activity was during dark. Noticed the trails were beat down more in the last month as well and a new rub.

Been out past few days, very slow to nonexistent activity. Does are hiding and bucks not even looking. Beginning to wonder if doe:buck ratio is way high. Only hunted here for 4 years, every year seems less like rut.

Up here in the northeast corner there is definitely not any does hidikg. I watched a couple fields last night that absolutely filled up with deer. Bucks pushing does and certain pairs in an all out chase. Hurry up Friday

Friday? Why wait. There has been great movement today. I've been out since 1030 and I've seen seven bucks chasing in the timber.

Friday? Why wait. There has been great movement today. I've been out since 1030 and I've seen seven bucks chasing in the timber.

Because Friday is a vacation day for me. Too many inspections and jobs need to be done before then for me to just leave work.

I completely understand guys. If it wouldn't have rained I would be working. Friday does look real nice but that's when I'll be working. Just was letting you know in the NE it has turned on for me. I went from nothing to tons of movement, hope it continues.

Sounds like a few of you will be out Friday. I will also be out, I'm thinking a all day sit. The down fall sounds like rain in the morning and then snow. I can handle snow! Either way I'm looking to put that smoke stick through the pump house on one of these good Iowa bucks! Good Luck! Warren County

Oh boy it's pretty crazy out! Scared 20-30 deer coming into this stand I haven't sat in all year. Had a double throat patch buck come in. Chasing in all the fields around me.

Saw a few deer feeding this morning in cut corn, and one nice looking buck running by himself. Guessing he was cruising. Probably a 140" class, but didn't get a side profile to see how many points.

Top Bottom