Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now the work begins, Flintlock build

Shovelbuck

I'd been dragging my feet for way too long to build a long skinny flinter. Almost 30 years to be exact. I figured I'm not getting any younger so it's now or never. About 8 months ago I put the plan into effect and started trying to decide what type to build while saving mad money.:D
I had originally thought about a .32 cal. but the logical side of me felt it wasn't practical for me. I really wanted something that I could use for squirrels to Moose, and everything in between. So.............a .62 cal fowler it is! It can shoot shot for small game and turkeys, load her up with a .600 ball for deer or whatever.
I ordered the materials a few weeks ago and they arrived today.
DCP_1111.jpg

image004.jpg

Parts......................
Maple stock
Large Siler lock
All steel furniture
42 inch tapered octagon to round barrel in .62 cal.

picture.php

picture.php

I'm not sure if I'll use the butt plate or side plate. The style of gun I am planning didn't have them. If they had a butt plate, it was usually a flat plate nailed on.

Regardless, this should be a fun project. I better get my chisels sharpened. They are going to see some heavy use for awhile.

Last edited:
Sounds like a sweet utility gun! Hard to imagine using the same gun for turkeys as for moose! I'm excited to see how the build turns out.

what will it do to a squirrel?

Being a cylinder bore 20 gauge, it will work great on small game with 6 or 8 shot, and a patched .600 ball will be devastating on large game out to around 50 yards.

Cool!

Jay, with all your talents this looks like an easy project. After reading the Bamboo arrow building post I was expecting you to start with a tree limb for the stock.

Tim

picture.php

I am looking forward to watching you build this flinter. You are going to take photos showing your building progress aren’t you?

pawlinebrown.gif

You are going to take photos showing your building progress aren’t you?

Ron, I'll share a few pics as it progresses but it's not going to be a build along. There's several of those by highly talented builders on the web if a person wants to see them.
There's going to be several aspects of this gun that I've never done before so I for sure don't feel qualified to post a tutorial on how it's done.
It's going to be a learning experience for me.:way:

It has been quite a few hours of quality time with chisels, and it's starting to look somewhat like a gun.:way:
After inletting the breechplug, tang, and 3 barrel lugs, I attacked the lock opening. Getting the lock plate to fit proper wasn't too hard of job. It is time consuming clearancing the internal parts. After that it was a simple job of inletting the trigger assembly.

DCP_1114.jpg

DCP_1118.jpg

DCP_1120.jpg

DCP_1121.jpg

After 18 hours on the build so far, I can finally say it's starting to look more like a kit gun than a pile of parts. The ramrod channel is done and thimbles inlet, trigger guard inlet and fit, stock is shaped to the front of the lock panels, and the lock is drilled, tapped in place.

shapingup.jpg

thimblesinlet.jpg

triggerguardfit.jpg

With 20 hours invested so far I feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :way:The entire stock is at final shape except for the where the butt plate will be and that job won't take long. I'm saving it for one of the last things since it will be nailed on and there's no need for it to be there for awhile yet.
A coworker is letting me borrow his drill press, and this weekend should see the tang bolt drilled and tapped along with barrel and trigger guard pins.

shaped.jpg

shape.jpg

34 hours into the build and it's really starting to shape up.
Yesterday got the tang bolt drilled and tapped along with all the other holes for mounting pins. Started in with 60 grit sandpaper this morning and took it down to 320. Wiskered it twice and started with stain. Had to custom mix some stain for the final 2 coats and it is exactly the color I wanted. I'll let it cure for a day or so then start rubbing on the oil.:way:
The light spots on the wrist and forarm are intentional. This will give it a well worn original look.

DCP_1140.jpg

DCP_1142.jpg

I'm still undecided about nailing on a buttplate. I'll probably make up a brass one and see how it looks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom