Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now the work begins, Flintlock build

picture.php

Well done Jay, that firearm really turned out nice. You are a craftsman!

pawlinebrown.gif

[QUOTEWell done Jay, that firearm really turned out nice][/QUOTE]

It's a far cry from being done Ron. I've got a lot of metal polishing and finishing yet.

Flash hole? That will be one of the last things to do.

What an heirloom that will be someday. Made with your own hands, treasures like that are few and far between Jay! Good work!!

After 46 hours I can say she's done.
I was just thinking how ironic and fitting it is to have finished a revolutionary period gun on the 4th of July.
It has been a fun and rewarding project and it turned out exactly how I hoped it would.
The antiqued gun metal gray finish on the metal parts turned out even better than I had hoped. Especially since it was my first attempt at it.
Supplies are ordered for shooting it and possibly next weekend I can get out and work up a load. Dove season isn't that far off.

100_3211-Copy.jpg

100_3207-Copy.jpg

DCP_1149.jpg

Thanks everyone.
I took it out for the first time today and what a shooter! 70 grains of 3f and 1 1/4 oz of number 6 pattern great at 20 yds which is enough for turkeys or anything else.
I've grown used to my other flintlocks, thinking they had great, fast locks and ignition. Was I ever wrong! This Siler lock is amazingly fast and it really sparks. There is NO DELAY when the trigger is pulled. Pull the trigger and it goes off. No "whoosh bang" at all.
I'm thinking now I may have to fit one of these locks to my .54 rifle. It needs the lock repaired anyway, and even when it's lock was new, it didn't hold a candle to this Siler.

100_3208.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom