Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR Price Increase?

B

bullwinkle

Did the non resident licenses go up, or is it still waiting to be passed?

bull,

Here's what I've been reading:

The Natural Resource Commission just approved a bunch of new regulations for deer and turkey hunting in Iowa. The new rules implement deer hunting fees and regulations for nonresidents passed by the Iowa Legislature during the 2001 session.

The new law requires nonresidents hunting deer in Iowa to now purchase a nonresident hunting license $80.50 the cost of nonresident deer licenses were also increased to $220.50 for an any sex license and $150.50 for an antlerless only license. The habitat fee was increased to $8.50. So, a nonresident hunting deer in Iowa will now have to pay $309.50 to hunt deer of any sex and $239.50 to hunt an antlerless only deer. The legislature also raised the number of antlerless only licenses by for nonresidents to 2,500, an increase of 1,000 licenses.

I would just like to add my 2 cents to this already controversial subject. I love bowhunting Iowa's mature whitetails. I was able to spend nine days hunting last november, and even though the weather was rather warm still managed to get lucky and harvest a 4.5 year old, 147" gross nine pointer with a 4" spike growing out of skull near the right eye, and my bowhunting partner was able to connect on a 144" 3.5 year old nine point. I was hunting nw davis county. Even though they were the only quality animals cited on the trip, I loved it. Enough about me, the reason I'm posting here is I belive the dnr is making it easier for the cheaters to hunt Iowa by letting them purchase non-resident doe tags. Its keeping the dishonest people in the woods. There going to harvest a buck if they want and just cut the the head off, butcher the deer up because they don't have mandatory checking of the deer. What they should do is give these doe tags to the people who were succesful in the drawing rather than being a little to money hungry. I personaly don't like the non-resident increase but will still continue to apply, atleast for deer, turkey price is to high for me. I did draw and harvest a nice bird with the bow last year. I wish more people had the mentality of the Iowa bowhunter, then there would be more mature whitetails to pursue here in Indiana. One more thing just wanted to add something more specific. Swanny, Old Buck and few others I can't think of, your class act guys and wish you the very best.

As an Iowa resident, I think it was probably time for an increase, but this might be a bit much. As residents we can't have it both ways...if we want to limit the number of NR hunters, then we shouldn't complain if other states do the same to us. For example, I'm hooked on that northern MN bear hunting and would hate to see them decide to start charging $500 to do it. At $200, a bear tag is probably priced about right. I do think the antlerless option for a NR is silly...who wouldn't be willing to spend the extra $70 for a chance to legally harvest a great buck??

See you all at the Classic this weekend!

NWBuck

Thanks guys.I was under the impression that it was pending, but I guess not. I can not imagine the doe tags getting sold out. It will be a lot easier to draw a buck tag from now on because of less demand.Less people applying.

X-RAYGUY,
You must be hunting right in my neck of the woods, great area I can't wait til Oct.
BOWDUDE

I will be in your back pocket bowdude....
wink.gif

I personally have hunted Iowa about 6 times in the last few years. 2 Trips out this past season and jsut lovethe hunting there. I do not have a problem paying the required amount for the license but do feel that reciprocity should be the law. Just like what Missouri is doing. Being in Pa. we have that relationship in all bordering states. The non-resident fee for PA is $101. and this is what I would pay in NJ, DE, MD, WV, OH, NY. I would just like to see the state step in and help out the DNR some. Unlike in PA where there are over 1,ooo,ooo licensed hunters, there are not enough tags sold in Iowa to support wildlife programs and eventually the animals will suffer and the great hunting in Iowa will suffer. I hope for the best as I plan on hunting there as long as it stays good and I can get a tag, regardless of the tag cost.

Tped, where are you located ? I'm about 8 miles east of Gettysburg.

Steve

If the DNR feels it needs to increase the price for NR deer permits at such a steep rate, they must feel the market for an Iowa permit is well established. So, why does Iowa still give out free "Celebrity Tags" to people such as TV shows and other entities that will supposedly promote the state's hunting industry? I think everyone knows what Iowa has to offer, so why screw the people who want to pay to hunt and k*** a** to all the free loaders who want a free tag?

Bobcat, I live about 2 miles north of Valley Forge Park. Similar problem there as what you have at Getysburg. Park has way too many deer, no hunting or anything else allowed.

Cloaca, being a paying NR hunter, I couldn't agree more!

I'll wade in on this one. I'm originally from Mason City but many moons ago moved down south to Springfield, Mo. I too choked at the price increase of NR tags but what the heck, I'm still going to apply. I usually go hunt pheasants with my family up north every year so I have to buy a Hunting Lic. anyway. I do think the antlerless lic. is a stupid idea too. Most of us from other states have an abundance of "skinheads" in our own backyard to hunt if thats what we're after. All in all, I don't golf or have any other expensive hobbies to take my money, so I may as well give it back to the State of my birth. As they say, "If you Play, you Pay!"

If the DNR raises the cost to over $300 if will be the last time I am able to hunt in Iowa. Us working guys can't swing that much of an increase.... I am pretty sure Missouri's is only about $125. Being raised in Iowa I look forward to hunting with family up there. I can see an increase, but not a 100% increase. Raising the number of out of state tags is good for y'alls' ecomony, just offer more anterless tags, people are still gonna hunt in "god's country"

If the DNR raises the cost to over $300 if will be the last time I am able to hunt in Iowa. Us working guys can't swing that much of an increase.... I am pretty sure Missouri's is only about $125. Being raised in Iowa I look forward to hunting with family up there. I can see an increase, but not a 100% increase. Raising the number of out of state tags is good for y'alls' ecomony, just offer more anterless tags, people are still gonna hunt in "god's country"

Top Bottom