Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRLO tags HF2190

Fishbonker

Life Member
Very long bill, lots of changes to current practices. I think the bill's explanation section needs its own explanation section. Nutshell, after a brief reading, changes the definition of NRLO to include minimum length of time the land is owned, amount of land owned requirements, type of land owned, not enrolled in CRP, not enrolled in forest reserve (chapter 427c). NRLOs meeting the criteria will receive two either sex tags, if more than one owner are listed only two of the owners can get tags (so four tags total or split the 2?) has to have a depredation program in place, must show that the NRLO has offered his arable land to a beginning farmer.

Division II: "Former owner” means a person who is a nonresident but previously qualified as an owner and has a current family member who is an owner of the same land. Former owners retain hunting rights on land previously owned and is now owned by family.

Again, this is only a brief reading. This bill refers to code section 483A .1a and 483a.24 with reference to subsections not in the current bill so a review of those code sections and subsections may be warranted for an understanding of this bill's purpose.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2190&ga=88

Sent to the House Natural Resource Committee. No subcommittee yet.

Last edited:
Oh brother. Will be watching for updates.

I always look up who introduces these bills. Wills from Dickinson county. If memory serves I believe that's around Okoboji. There much for deer hunting land up there?

I doubt there are many NR landowners that have owned the land for 5 years, have (0) CRP and no forest reserve. I do not see this going anywhere.

I agree. Lost on the crp thing. I like the 80 acre min but don’t get the crp part. Most are in to promote wildlife cover and anti soil erosion. What if I just started a new contract. Can I opt out? Donate to the state of Iowa? CRP is federally funded. Doesn’t come out of Iowa’s pocket? Confusing?!

It seems to be that the bill provides a tag in exchange for a resident farming opportunity. Which is fine. But what if one has mostly timber? You going to allow the farmer to doze? I’ve had the same farmer on my place for 18 years and charge no fee. Am I supposed to get rid of him and seek a beginning farmer? What defines a beginning farmer?

Needs cleaned up.

Last edited:
I don't know, this bill tics a lot of boxes for legislators. CRP, forest reserve, crop loss, beginning farmers, type of ground. All those topics have had legislative initiatives in the past few years. I think someone did their homework on this one.

I left out one, family members return to Iowa to hunt.

Last edited:
They just never stop on their quest!
This one has my FULL attention and I’m sure the IBA’s as well...

Who Ishi. People who spend thousands to make Iowa habitat the best it can be? In many cases way more than residents. You’re right. The quest goes on.

Reactions: OMB
Top Bottom