Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRLO tags v 4.0 HSB 668

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill puts the minimum amount of land necessary to qualify at 80 acres, no forest reserve and no CRP. It also has the former resident free NRLO tags.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HSB668&ga=88

Link to the code referenced: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/law/iowaCode/sections?codeChapter=483A&year=2020

Subcommittee assigned:

Representative Terry Baxter, District 8 (Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth Counties) Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=13796

Representative Scott Ourth, House District 26 (part of Warren county including Indianola) Email: scott.ourth@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10742

Representative Jeff Shipley, House District 82 (Davis, Van Buren and parts of Jefferson county) Email: Jeff.Shipley@legis.iowa.gov Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27036

No date has been set for the subcommittee meeting as of this post, 2/11/20.

Ok... so the original 6000 non-resident Any Sex deer tags will not be effected by this bill if it becomes law?

The (2) Non-resident landowner Any Sex (buck) tags per 80 acres, will be in addition to the 6000 NR Any Sex tags?

So there will be NO limit to the number of NR landowner tags?...the number is only limited to the number of 80 acre NR land owner applicants?

Thanks

Ok... so the original 6000 non-resident Any Sex deer tags will not be effected by this bill if it becomes law?

The (2) Non-resident landowner Any Sex (buck) tags per 80 acres, will be in addition to the 6000 NR Any Sex tags?

So there will be NO limit to the number of NR landowner tags?...the number is only limited to the number of 80 acre NR land owner applicants?

Thanks

The allotment is not increased just the average Joes get hosed. Their allotment is cut in half. However, if all of the 3,000 NRLO tags aren't claimed they go back into the pool. That is the way I read it but I've read so many of those bills I'm kinda numb to the subtleties that may be there. Don't forget the 500 NRLOs that have a hunt booked with an outfitter come out of the 6,000 as well so that leaves 2500 up for grabs.

However, the former NRLO who now lives in Florida can get two tags to hunt on their former land as long as it is owned by a family member who lives in Iowa. Those tags do not come out of the 6,000.

Don’t look now but I’m an average Joe who sucked it up and sacrificed other things in life to own land. If the keyboard jockeys here conduct their net searches they’ll find I was a public servant for 25 years, not a wealthy land baron.

Problem is we don’t have the means to control our deer population causing habitat capacity and disease issues. The legislature is trying address both.

Last edited:
Problem is we don’t have the means to control our deer population causing habitat capacity and disease issues. The legislature is trying address both.

I get it - It would suck owning land here and not being able to shoot does to control the heard. I'd have a hard time trusting any local resident to do it, but that's just me. It's tough for the NR landowner and the DNR when those areas get locked up from other hunters and the landowner can't hunt it, it's going to get over populated pretty quickly in some areas of the state. I totally get your point.

I just would hate to see buck tags allotted to non-resident land owners. Land prices will jump up making it even more un-affordable for people who'd like to own land. It makes the state more appealing for the non-residents with bigger pockets than the average joe (resident or non-resident). More land gets locked up and less access for non-land owning residents and non-residents. There's a pretty limited portion of the state that's got good deer hunting. If a guy buys land in SE IA or somewhere it takes a few years to wait to get a buck tag. Sure it sucks but that's life, supply and demand. You want the world class hunting, gotta be patient. In my mind that's kinda how it is out west, the good elk areas take years of waiting and paying for points (of course you don't have the personal investment of land out there).

Do non-resident landowners in CO, WY, etc get tags for elk or mulies or at least a bump in odds to drawing compared to a non-landowning non-resident?

Wow! What a great way for the NRLO to be able to hunt his/her own property without causing a big run on land purchases by NRs. A five year wait, 80 acres minimum and no gov income would eliminate most NRLOs. Maybe I would be able to hunt my property 10 more times instead of 2!

I get it - It would suck owning land here and not being able to shoot does to control the heard. I'd have a hard time trusting any local resident to do it, but that's just me. It's tough for the NR landowner and the DNR when those areas get locked up from other hunters and the landowner can't hunt it, it's going to get over populated pretty quickly in some areas of the state. I totally get your point.

I just would hate to see buck tags allotted to non-resident land owners. Land prices will jump up making it even more un-affordable for people who'd like to own land. It makes the state more appealing for the non-residents with bigger pockets than the average joe (resident or non-resident). More land gets locked up and less access for non-land owning residents and non-residents. There's a pretty limited portion of the state that's got good deer hunting. If a guy buys land in SE IA or somewhere it takes a few years to wait to get a buck tag. Sure it sucks but that's life, supply and demand. You want the world class hunting, gotta be patient. In my mind that's kinda how it is out west, the good elk areas take years of waiting and paying for points (of course you don't have the personal investment of land out there).

Do non-resident landowners in CO, WY, etc get tags for elk or mulies or at least a bump in odds to drawing compared to a non-landowning non-resident?

Jordan, when I was looking at ranches in Mt, a NRLO with 640 acres or more was guaranteed either sex elk tags. Colorado and I think NM, NRLOs are guaranteed either sex tags that are transferable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom