Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NWTF Leaders ousted!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but all that fine work is done on the backs of volunteers. Without these folks donating their time and resources to get the job done Mr. Keck would be making a normal wage </div></div>

Please remember these folks are volunteers, they VOLUNTEERED without any expectations..... that is at the very root of what a volunteer is. I agree with you Bonker, and the NWTF takes very good care of it's help that is offered up freely by its volunteers, but any body who builds a Non-profit foundation like Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants forever, or the NWTF deserves some kind of kick back or salary, and it was mentioned earlier, 380,000 is lots of money for most of us, but in the world of big business, thats not much..... the NWTF is an organization with paid members, their soul purpose is to enhance out hunting opportunities, why not pay them well.

Lots of guys say they feel cheated or that Rob Keck doesn't deserve that much of a salary, who are they to determine what this man is worth?
(not directed at you Bonker)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thomas and I swapped PMs a few weeks ago....Here is a quote “…becaues there is a rich heritage of passion behind the hunting and fishing world, many folks feel offended when money is "made" from the industry participants.... i.e. you and me. That is simply due to how it began compared to how it is now.” </div></div>

here is more of that quote
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">furthermore, Hunting/Fishing has become a large industry, and contrary to some opinions, that is NEVER changing. right wrong or indifferent, we can either choose to be apart of the industry, or disassociate from it altogether. (and not hunt.) I live to hunt and fish, and i will always find a way to go, even if it costs me money, it is at the core of who i am and i want my son to enjoy the outdoors as i have. (i am not wrong for doing so) </div></div>

the hunting and fishing industries are multi billion dollar industries, no way around that, and it is not wrong! with out it, hunting and fishing as we know it today does not exist.

nothing is free, regardless of how certian people feel about it. Rob Keck has made a career of building an essential program created for the restoration and conservation of the wild turkey, this not only consumed his life but became his career. Not to mention he has built a following and a membership of those who support the NWTF. every organization needs a leader and leadership does not come free.

I ask, WHAT!? IS WRONG WITH HIM MAKING MONEY WITH A COMPANY THAT AFFECTS TURKEY HUNTING ON A NATIONAL LEVEL IN A POSITIVE MANNER???????

this man has found a way to make a great living doing what he is most passionate about, good for him!!! especially supporting a favorite spring time animal that so many of us cherish! and now that he has resigned and his annual salary is public knowledge he is criticized for that. i just dont understand.

it erks me that folks criticize what they know so little about!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but all that fine work is done on the backs of volunteers. Without these folks donating their time and resources to get the job done Mr. Keck would be making a normal wage </div></div>

Please remember these folks are volunteers, they VOLUNTEERED without any expectations..... that is at the very root of what a volunteer is. I agree with you Bonker, and the NWTF takes very good care of it's help that is offered up freely by its volunteers, but any body who builds a Non-profit foundation like Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants forever, or the NWTF deserves some kind of kick back or salary, and it was mentioned earlier, 380,000 is lots of money for most of us, but in the world of big business, thats not much..... the NWTF is an organization with paid members, their soul purpose is to enhance out hunting opportunities, why not pay them well.

Lots of guys say they feel cheated or that Rob Keck doesn't deserve that much of a salary, who are they to determine what this man is worth?
(not directed at you Bonker)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thomas and I swapped PMs a few weeks ago....Here is a quote “…becaues there is a rich heritage of passion behind the hunting and fishing world, many folks feel offended when money is "made" from the industry participants.... i.e. you and me. That is simply due to how it began compared to how it is now.” </div></div>

here is more of that quote
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">furthermore, Hunting/Fishing has become a large industry, and contrary to some opinions, that is NEVER changing. right wrong or indifferent, we can either choose to be apart of the industry, or disassociate from it altogether. (and not hunt.) I live to hunt and fish, and i will always find a way to go, even if it costs me money, it is at the core of who i am and i want my son to enjoy the outdoors as i have. (i am not wrong for doing so) </div></div>

the hunting and fishing industries are multi billion dollar industries, no way around that, and it is not wrong! with out it, hunting and fishing as we know it today does not exist.

nothing is free, regardless of how certian people feel about it. Rob Keck has made a career of building an essential program created for the restoration and conservation of the wild turkey, this not only consumed his life but became his career. Not to mention he has built a following and a membership of those who support the NWTF. every organization needs a leader and leadership does not come free.

I ask, WHAT!? IS WRONG WITH HIM MAKING MONEY WITH A COMPANY THAT AFFECTS TURKEY HUNTING ON A NATIONAL LEVEL IN A POSITIVE MANNER???????

this man has found a way to make a great living doing what he is most passionate about, good for him!!! especially supporting a favorite spring time animal that so many of us cherish! and now that he has resigned and his annual salary is public knowledge he is criticized for that. i just dont understand.

it erks me that folks criticize what they know so little about!
</div></div>

Care to tell us your true feelings Thomas. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

(Sigh)
Not directed at anyone in particular, just something i feel strongly about

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

one of my down falls.....

THA4 I ask said:
Nuthin if the labor isn't volunteer.

I admit I know very little about it, but what I do know is I get grumpy when I see somebody getting paid, what I consider well, for my passion and on the sweat of others. Sure the members volunteer their time and will continue to do so, but don't ya think the common rank and file NWTF volunteer member will be a bit irked when they realize how much work they have been putting in just for the warm and fuzzys and the guys at the top are getting paid well for it? Do you suppose they knew how much the execs were making before they volunteered?

For profit companies should be part of the billion dollar industry, I do not begrudge them making money off my passion, but they are a for profit company.

One more shot, anybody really think these guys are paying taxes like the rest of us? If they are smart enough to make that kinda money from free labor, they are smart enough to keep most, if not all, of what they make.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto2351</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How about a nap we know how you like to sleep. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

It is way past my nap time, but if I kick back in the LazyBoy now that damn cat will jump up in my lap and expect to nap with me. Can't have that.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what I do know is I get grumpy when I see somebody getting paid, what I consider well, for my passion and on the sweat of others. </div></div>

so the execs. of the NWTF didnt put in any sweat to get it going? i believe they did!

somebody has to run that organization

~without paid employees, there is no NWTF
~without the NWTF we have no turkeys....

seems like a fair trade-off to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody really think these guys are paying taxes like the rest of us? If they are smart enough to make that kinda money from free labor, they are smart enough to keep most, if not all, of what they make.</div></div>

I highly doubt they would risk penalty for the money they make. they have to pay income tax like every red blooded American, and im sure it would astonish you how much they have to pay Uncle Sam annually.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Sigh)

one of my down falls..... </div></div>

Some would say you're... stubborn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some would say you're... stubborn </div></div>

not me.....
im hurt....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
~without the NWTF we have no turkeys....</div></div>

O Rly? How old is the NWTF?

Wild Turkey Restoration
Iowa's primitive oak-hickory forests covered nearly 7 million acres (2.8 million ha) during the original land survey in 1859. Settlers' records indicate turkeys were associated with most of this timber. Although turkeys may not have been as numerous in Iowa as in their primary range east of the Mississippi River, they were still plentiful. Unfortunately, wild turkeys were eliminated from Iowa by the early 1900's due to habitat loss and partly because of uncontrolled subsistence hunting.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) began experimenting with turkey restoration in 1920 using pen-reared birds. Releases were made over the next 18 years but all releases were uniform failures. By 1960 no known wild turkey populations existed in Iowa.

The first attempts at releasing transplanted wild turkeys were in the early 1960's. Rio Grande and Merriam's subspecies were released at several sites during the 1960's but ultimately their poor adaptation to Iowa's oak-hickory forest led to population failures for both subspecies.

The first release of Eastern wild turkeys was in 1966 in Lee County. The population response of these turkeys was phenomenal - survival of released birds, reproduction, and poult survival were all excellent. The success of this Eastern subspecies stocking led to an additional stocking that also proved successful. By 1971 it was obvious that the Eastern subspecies was the turkey to use in future restoration attempts.

Since the initial 1965 release, 3,063 Eastern wild turkeys have been released at 220 sites at a stocking rate of approximately 3 adult gobblers and 10 hens per site. Nearly all sites are considered successful, however the most recent stockings are still being evaluated. No sites are currently considered to be unsuccessful. Most sites were opened to hunting after populations were established, usually about 5 years post-stocking. Restoration efforts by the IDNR during the last 2 decades have returned wild turkeys to about 95% of the remnant timber stands in the state.

Some in-state translocations continue, but the majority of trapping effort is to assist other states in their restoration efforts. During the 1994-95 season we shipped 401 turkeys to Texas (297 hens, 70 toms, 34 jakes) and 172 (130 hens, 16 toms, 26 jakes) to Kentucky. During the 1995-96 season we shipped 404 turkeys to Texas (300 hens, 84 toms, 20 jakes), 109 to Louisiana (83 hens, 24 toms, 2 jakes), and 92 (66 hens, 23 toms, 3 jakes) to Kentucky. During the 1999-2000 trapping season, Iowa shipped 363 turkeys to Washington (290 females; 73 males) and 61 to South Dakota (45 females: 16 males). In addition, 163 (114 females; 49 males) birds were moved in-state.

ok Randy, i stand corrected /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif
so that statement was quasi bold of me.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
ill retract it and reassert it in a different manner. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

The NWTF is an essential piece of the Conservation and redistribution puzzle. i feel a need for them as every devoted waterfowler sees a need for many of the efforts DU is responsible for.....

Here's another view of this. I am an Eagle Scout and definatley support scouting so please dont' attack me. Just found this on Wikipedia:

As of January 2007, the American Institute of Philanthropy lists the Chief Scout Executive as having the fifth-highest compensation of any nonprofit chief in the United States, at $916,028.

Sop thats money that little kids are selling pop corn to raise. That's what I would start to call outragious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every devoted waterfowler sees a need for many of the efforts DU is responsible for </div></div>

This is a WHOLE nother can of worms Thomas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(Sigh)

one of my down falls..... </div></div>

Some would say you're... stubborn. </div></div>

Yep,
Heard that one before. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

i quit.....

open mouth
insert foot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every devoted waterfowler sees a need for many of the efforts DU is responsible for </div></div>

This is a WHOLE nother can of worms Thomas... </div></div>

ha, I'll open it, DELTA WATERFOWL!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

26monkey.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The NWTF is an essential piece of the Conservation and redistribution puzzle. </div></div>

The NWTF, working with state wildlife agencies,is an essential piece of the wild turkey conservation and redistribution puzzle. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom