Oak logs

Discussion in 'Whitetail Management' started by Hardwood11, Mar 8, 2017.

1. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

No but talked to a guy in the business recently. His take: Walnut is down. White out is still fairly strong. Strong demand for stave logs.

I guess they need to make more whisky when the economy is booming. Lol

Hardwood11 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

“White oak is strong”. I’ve been meaning to get an update on White oak market. I’ve got some areas I need to “thin” - Still a lot of logs. I’ll only do white oak conservatively and only do it when it’s very strong market. Just cause those trees grow so old and slow and can sit there. Got some ripe ones I wanna move though. If anyone hears more on oak market- fire back here

Hardwood11 likes this.
  4. OMB

OMB New Member

Red Oak has probably bottomed out at this point but is still pretty low compared to where it's at historically. White Oak has been strong because of increased demand from the railroad industry for ties. Until we get some tariff relief, hardwoods will probably remain soft price wise but anything related to shipping/manufacturing (pallets, railroad ties, etc) has been steady.

Sligh1 likes this.
  5. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

You would think with building costs up, and new home construction strong, that oak would be in demand. There must not be as much demand for oak in flooring, millwork etc...as there used to be.

6. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

People like my wife just want stuff painted. haha Kills me when I make something out of walnut or oak and she'd rather have barnwood or paint on it!

Broot and Daver like this.
  7. OMB

OMB New Member

Housing starts are indeed up, but most of that lumber is softwoods from out west or from Canada, so there is a bit of a demand lag on the hardwoods. I don't have hard data to back this part up- but I know enough that more likely than not there's a lot of mills sitting on dried inventory that they're waiting to bring to market. Probably going to be 6 or more months before we see prices start to move with housing trends (and hopefully the tariff situation sorted out.)

Hardwood11 likes this.