Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

OATS?

loneranger

How low do temps have to be to kill Oats? I have no experience with them. I know frost or at least freeze kills em.

How low do temps have to be to kill Oats? I have no experience with them. I know frost or at least freeze kills em.
Oats are fairly tolerant to a light frost from my memory. Thinking 15-20 for a few hours is what does kill them or even warmer could i believe if it is for a longer time frame.

I don't know the exact temps that will do them in...but I do know that they are "the first thing to go" when the temps get down a little below 32 degree F.

You might get slightly more time out of something like Jerry oats or Plot spike, etc. But, I wouldn't say substantial. I always include rye, peas, etc in mine so I honestly don't pay that close of attention. Few froze nights and pretty much say by-by.

I planted about 2 acres worth of oats last year as well as multiple other test plots. From the time the oats came up in early September, until there was 3” of snow on them in mid December, the oats were buzzed to the ground. The deer used the oats 3:1 over other plot types. I will continue to have a buffet for my deer but I will never go without planting oats again. FYI I planted whitetail institute oats.

Top Bottom