Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off hand shooting

Did some off hand shooting today and holy smokes do i need to get away from that lead sled for a good while :eek: Didn't do to horribly bad at 40 yards but still, that sled really lets a shooter forget his form of shooting off hand.

Great time though! I shot a cabelas hawken 50cal and didnt even get one hang fire this time around! Its extremely prone to hang fires or misfires, something tells me its going to go to a gunsmith and have the breech pulled and worked on for better powder flow into the bolster.

What powder are you using? Pyrodex is known to cause hang fires in those guns with a patent breech. Plus, if your not pumping water though it when cleaning, it isn't getting clean. When I rebuilt my Cabelas .54 flint, I went ahead and unbreached and opened up the chamber a bit. didn't really have any troubles before but it gave me peace of mind. Here's a link to the rebuild.
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34377

Last edited:
Using pyrodex P. I even get hang fires with goex! That tells me i got a burr or something in the breech holding up the powder and not letting it flow. I always do the pump action in a bucket of hot soapy water and also use a 30cal brush to clean out the patent breech.

wow that gun of yours came out pretty dang awesome too! Was is hard to get that breech out?

Yep, sounds like a rough channel or burr as you said. The breech came out easy. A padded vice and 12 inch Crescent wrench. When removing a patent breech plug, never put the wrench on the hook. Always on the octagon part. With a percussion like yours, care must be taken not to scar the flats since your snail will prevent you from putting the wrench on the side flats, if my memory is correct. :)

Took 5 hours to upload but I got the shooting video up LOL. No trouble with it yesterday, but come hunting season, it always finds a way to go POP rather than Bang.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0FfRew3Dz-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In the loading part of your video, did you leave out firing several caps before loading or do you not do that? Just wondering.

I used a different video on reloading the gun, some shots had the sun in the lens, just trying to get the best angle available. only 3 shots were taken.

Top Bottom