Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Off topic... camper advise

MN Hunter

We put our name on a permanent camping waiting list last fall. Usually it takes 3-5 years to get a spot. Well they called, and we have a spot for this season. Currently we do not own a camper. Any advice on brands, what to look for when purchasing? What to stay away from? We are wanting a bunkhouse and an outdoor kitchen. Thanks for any and all advice.

There is a local RV show, go to it and take a look at a bunch of them. Probably late for shows at this point.
If you buy used, look closely. It's easy to take someone else's problem off of their hands. If there are any soft spots in the floor, steer clear, there has been or is a roof leak.
Take a ladder if looking and get on the roof to look at if it's been maintained. Look for any cracks in the sealant.

Look at the layout and make sure that it works for you. If it's a permanent spot, maybe not a problem, but ensure that you can get in the fridge and bathroom if the slides are in.
Most campers are built lightweight and with inexpensive materials and as fast as possible. It's jsut the nature of it. They really aren't meant to last for a significant length of time.

IMO. First. 5th wheel or trailer?

Second thing to do is look at the 2 basic construction styles. Basically aluminum framing and fiberglass exterior vs. wood frame and aluminum siding. Aluminum frame costs more but does have it's benefits such as lighter weight and rot resistance. The construction style has the largest effect on price. Once that's decided it's just a mater of picking your layout.

We have a bunkhouse with single living room slide. A slide in the bunk house would be nice but that put the weight over where I wanted to be.

Make sure you shop around.

I am cool with the topic, but congratulatins, I believe this is the first "what camper should I buy" thread I've ever seen since 1999. Tents, yes. Campers, I don't believe so.
Trust me on this. I would rather pay off the house this year than invest in a money pit. I mean camper. But the wife makes a lot more money than me so... there’s that. At least it will be a lot closer to my dads farm so I will be able to spend more time there.
We are looking at a bumper hitch with a fiber glass exterior. We have walked through a few used Keystones, Puma and Forest Rivers. Our main concern at first was the layout but now I’m more interested in something that isn’t junk and will out last some of the competitor manufactures even if that means paying more.

Last fall, we sold our pop up camper after Syd's elk hunt. We'd outgrown it. We shopped and shopped around and finally decided on a 2018 Springdale bumper pull 24 footer. You really have to go look at the layout and what you ultimately want out of it. Ours has an indoor kitchen, but the dining area is the slide out. Two bunks in the back, next to the bathroom and the master bed up front, with accordion doors for "privacy" (yeah, right). Like others have said, if you go used, inspect the hell out of it for trouble spots. The biggest thing my kids hate is that I am dragging my feet on getting the septic system up and running. Where we camp, there are no black-water dump stations and dumping your black (even grey) water in the National Forest is illegal. I've seen a couple of spots where folks did it and its gross (beyond gross). Most of those developed campgrounds have a dump station, so you should be set there!

I have a friend out here who splurged on a Lance a couple of years ago and its been nothing but trouble for him. I've heard that from a couple of others, too.

We have a keystone passport ultralight. Double bunk in back, 1 slide out, outdoor kitchen, and can be hauled with a half ton. We have had it 2 years now and works well for our family of five. We go camping all over the Midwest with it.

Would a tiny home work? They are a build your home on a trailer. Lots of really good layouts.

If you have small kids the bunkhouse with its own separate room (not just the curtain) is a good idea. Wouldn't go without the outdoor entrance to the bathroom neither.

If you plan to keep it at this location for the most part look for a good insulated under carriage, like a park model. If you use it over the winter months and still want to use water. We had a Jayco bunkhouse the quad bunks and divider door is a must with kids. One thing that may seem small but worthwhile is the canopy over the slide outs. We used ours at the farm a lot, up for the weekend maybe 2-3 days at a time. When it rained water would accumulate on top of the slide, after the first time you learn your lesson when you close the slide and all that water dumps inside. We had to park the truck on that side and climb up on the bed or use a ladder to squeegee the water off first.

Top Bottom