Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Old Buck needs help!

Old Buck

Life Member
Hello fellow whitetail fanatics!

I haven't been posting much for awhile. I have been checking Iowa Whitetails periodically but I've mostly been gathering reference material, painting and hunting.

I'm still working on Dream Bucks II. It will feature the Brian Andrews buck, a tremendous whitetail taken by Brian when he was 16. It became a new, p&y, state record nontypical for Iowa. Tragically, the mounted rack was stolen from his house.

That brings me to the point of this post. The thing I need help with at this time is reference on a rubbed fence post. As you can see by the preliminary design I've decided to include an old, rubbed fence post in the scene.

(I haven't figured out how to get the photo posted. I'll add it once I'm able.)

The problem is I don't have any good reference photos of rubbed posts handy and don't have a lot of time to go looking for them. If anyone knows of an interesting rubbed post with lots of character I'd really appreciate digital photos of the same. I think you can pm them to me.

I hope you are all having an enjoyable hunting season. I plan on being in the woods soon with bow in hand. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Old Buck

If the ammunition plant at Burlington would let you in for photography I think you'd find what you wanted. I trapped turkeys for the DNR in there and the small rubs were on fence/sign posts, the telephone pole rubs were what scared me.

May be a dumb question, because I assume asap is the answer...but how soon do you need it?

It's not a fence post, but after the holidays I would be able to provide a picture of a rub on a 15" diameter cedar tree that is shredded. It has thumb width brow-tine gouges about 2inches in from both sides of the tree and they're about a foot long.

One a side note about fence post rubs...the coolest rub I have ever seen was located on a 4X4 cedar post near New Underwood, South Dakota. I saw this at a place where I help plant 15,000 trees. Never did get a photo of it but it was almost whittled to a 1.5" dowel in the middle. It puzzled me so I asked the land owner if the Pronghorns did that from rubbing their sides on the post (kind of like horses do in the summer...ya know, just itching a sweet spot). "NOPE" the landower said...he intentionally "plants" them because they're whitetail buck magnets. He said the whitetail's prefer to rub those cedar posts as opposed to the limited selection of available trees, which is about the same time I noticed this post was 20 yds from a good looking treestand.

I noticed these 4X4's in a couple different places through-out the week and half of tree planting and each time they were within bow range of a treestand. What a coincidence.

Larry,

The one in my avator is a very cool fence post rub right around the nails in it. I'll see if I can't find a bigger version.

Tyler

Here it is!

treerub.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the ammunition plant at Burlington would let you in for photography I think you'd find what you wanted. I trapped turkeys for the DNR in there and the small rubs were on fence/sign posts, the telephone pole rubs were what scared me. </div></div>

i live a mile from the ammunition plant. man i would do anything to be able to hunt there. ive seen the biggest bucks in my life through my binoculars in that area. including a double drop tine buck that has been stuck in my head the last 2 years.

Not that this will help, but there was a story in the American Hunter a year or two ago and a rubbed post was kinda the feature. They had some great photos of it. It was a post marking the center of a section out in Wyoming I belive and it was rubbed to almost tooth pick thickness. The land owner gave it to the hunter to put in his man room to go along with the deer, maybe mule deer or elk that had been rubbing it for generations.

Unfortunately I have long since recycled that issue. Sorry.

TallTines photo looks pretty neat though. The nails and knots are a great feature.

The 'Bonker

I have one from the ammunition plant but it's not as good as Talltines, it has been stolen since I took the pic a few years ago. I can't post it since I don't know how anymore. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Thanks guys! I knew I could get help here. In addition to replying on the thread some pm'd photos and even loaned me a rubbed post.

Thanks again. I'll post the image when it is done.

Old Buck

Top Bottom