Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

old buck or hold out for a high scoring deer

Rich77

on one particular farm I'm hunting late season I have a 6.5 yr old 8 point pretty well patterned. very killable buck.
on the other hand there is a slammer that enteres the field from a few different locations and tends to shy away from this old 8. should I kill the old 8. or spend a lot of hours hoping this high scoring 5.5 yr old buck makes a mistake.
same general age class of deer with very different personality traits.
90 percent of me wants to nail the coffin shut on this bully of an 8 point. pick up a real nice set of sheds and look forward to next year. But in the back of my head I really want to kill the higher scoring buck, he is new to this farm and I don't know if he will be around next year. that's why it's called hunting I guess

Sounds like a win situation either way ya go, but if you have the bully patterned and can kill him, probably be the way I'd go.

Bird in the hand.....

Take out the bully and the younger buck sticks around????? I'd can the 8, great buck in the bag and prospective buck for next fall if he sticks around.

I'm leaning towards taking out the old bully as well. Completely up to you but I'm assuming you'd be happy with either so go sit and shoot the first one out.

I would take out the old 8 pt as well...would have to be proud putting down a 6.5 yr old buck that you are pretty certain is all he can be.

I have yet to sit this farm. I've watched from about 3/8's of a mile through a spotting scope a few different evenings and have taken a tractor back a few times to pull cards on a few cameras. I have a perfect wind tomorrow to take the old 8 out. I know I should get him off the farm and let this younger deer have a place to call home. If I'm given the shot I'm going to take the old 8. I'm very fortunate to have a lot of property to hunt and I still have a bow tag that Im hoping I can fill with a mature buck. last years I was Mr. management by taking out an old tank bodied buck with my bow I guess I can bite the bullet and do the same this year with my muzzy Tag. In the long run I know that I'll be helping out the future of this farm

Also agree on taking the 8... Gotta also think why kinda genes you want out there if the other makes it to breed again next year....

Kill the big one, forget the eight. If he just moved into your area there is a real good chance you wont ever see him again.

Last edited:
I'd hunt the easier one (8pt.)with the bow and the harder to pattern buck with the muzzy. You might aswell plan on getting them both this year! It's easier said than done, I know.

Two factors that I believe have the most impact on your decision would be: The actual age of the "younger", higher scoring deer and Whether or not that "younger" deer has established a "home" range in your particular area.

If that younger is indeed 5.5, then he may decline next year. Also, that younger buck may only be here due to pressure from the shotgun seasons or because there is more food on your side of the fence. He may be disperse from the area next year!

I understand eliminating bully bucks but then again, the younger buck may not even be on the farm next year.

You may just need to reposition yourself somewhere else on the farm. So, you can avoid the 8 and intercept the "big boy".

this particular farm has always been awful during the late season. last winter we hinge cut a bunch of UN desirable trees, put in some crp and this year we put quite a bit of food on this property, and eliminated all shotgun drives
It has made a world of difference. I'm going to head to a blind over the standing beans tonight and see what happens.
I've known this old 8 for 3 years now and he has never produced anything in the antler department. the "big guy" I've known for 2 years. come shotgun season and into the late season all the deer vanish off of this farm. they spend the summer and fall on this property
Now that we have provided everything they need it seems to have kept them all around this year.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon and saying take out the 8. Get his genetics out of your herd and give the younger deer a chance to "own" the farm. Completely your call but knowing my luck, I'd make the 8 my target and not wait out on the other deer. Mature buck=trophy buck in my book.

I'd shoot the bully and when he's gone that big racked one might claim your spot as his home turf. You never know. Do whatever will make you the happiest.

I would go for the big one all day long. The last minute last hour of last day is when I may consider the bully.

well fellas. This situation got interesting tonight.
Just when u think you have a plan it all falls apart. The "big guy" stepped out at 120 yards at 3:15. bad news, he's only carrying one antler. so he's got a free pass. To make matters worse. the old 8 would not come any closer than 250ish yards. I just didn't feel to confident in that shot tonight in the wind and just a set of shooting sticks. I do have quite a few evenings left and I've officialy decided that this old buck is my number one priority on this farm. If the wind is right I'll be after the old timer from here on out

well fellas. This situation got interesting tonight.
Just when u think you have a plan it all falls apart. The "big guy" stepped out at 120 yards at 3:15. bad news, he's only carrying one antler. so he's got a free pass. To make matters worse. the old 8 would not come any closer than 250ish yards. I just didn't feel to confident in that shot tonight in the wind and just a set of shooting sticks. I do have quite a few evenings left and I've officialy decided that this old buck is my number one priority on this farm. If the wind is right I'll be after the old timer from here on out.

Top Bottom