Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Old seed

KnuckleDragr

Anyone know how long seed is good? I've got of bag of soybeans and a couple bags of corn that is probably 4 years old. Has been kept on a shelf in my basement the whole time. Cool and very dry. Wondering if it will germinate enough to justify fertilizer costs.

Do a germination test sometime to see how good it is. That will determine whether or not to plant it, or plant at normal or thicker rates.

Soybeans lose germ much faster than corn, especially if they are seed-coated. Do a test but I wouldn't plant them. The germ test will probably be better conditions than actual field planting so adjust results accordingly.

Good post. I have the same question. I have Rape, Radish, and Pea seed. Three yrs old this year. I planted it at 2 yrs old last summer. It came up good. How longwill it last?

I think it's all on how you store your seed, cool , dark , dry storage, I have had rape , PTT ,clover , GFR seed that is over 3 years old never had a problem with it. I bought more than I should of in bulk. I think if it's stored properly I know it will last at least 3 years.

Top Bottom