Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opening night success

dedgeez

death from above
Well as many of you know from reading these posts the last few years I am pretty lucky to get to take a kid hunting every year. Ryan comes from a family that doesn't hunt, but he loves to do it so I offered 3 years ago to take him. Since that time we have killed a doe his first year, 2 nice gobblers, a nice 5 year old buck last fall, and then he added to his resume last night with a beautiful 3 year old 8.

Quick story.

I have been running cams on this farm all summer and documenting the different bucks on the farm. So yesterday I picked Ryan up about noon and took him to the farm. We shot the the muzzleloader to make sure it was on and he helped me hang a stand. I just wanted to make a day out of it for him, and also make him see the "work" side of things. I took him to the house and showed him the different bucks from the farm and what he could expect that evening.

About 5:30 we headed out and put the double bull out next to one of my standing corn fields that the deer have been flocking to. We settled in and got ready. According to the cams the bucks had been showing up anywhere between 7 and 7:30. Sure enough the first deer came over the hill about 7 and shortly behind him was a bachelor group of 3 year olds. The 3rd one was a tall 8 that almost touches in the front and Ryan really like the looks of him. I told him to get his gun on the sticks and wait for them to get into range. Sure enough they all filed by at about 40 yards and he made a hell of a shot. The buck went about 20 yards and died in sight. We went back to the truck and made a few phone calls. I wanted his family to be there for the recovery. His mother, uncle, and grandpa all came out to the farm and helped us go get him. Ryan was thrilled to say the least and it was very cool that his family was there to share it.

He told me he had to wear the same sweatshirt and hat as he wore last year for good luck :grin: Who am I to question his thought process :way:

Overall it was another great youth season, and it is certainly fun to watch Ryan's progression as a young man. He is hopefully learning a lot and I have no doubt that he will be a hunter for life :way:

2013 buck
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

2012 buck
picture.php

Good luck to all of you guys.

Last edited:
I never get tired of seeing these kids with the huge smiles sitting behind deer! Congrats to both you and I applaud you for taking the time to take him.

Great job patterning and setting up on that group of bucks! Congrats to both of you

Great story...congrats to both of you :way:

The fact that the young man is obviously a Hawkeye fan is just icing on the cake :D

NWBuck

Top Bottom