Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

opinions needed

tagged out

Was hunting thanksgiving morning and at 7:35 got a shot at my #1 buck. Only the second sighting of him all year. Long story short he popped out of nowhere behind me in the field @ 55 yrds and started to browse. After trying to calm myself I steadied my bow on him as he was starting out across the field and downwind of me. I stopped him broadside at 40 as I touched off my release. Heard a loud crack at impact and saw my arrow sticking out as he ran away. I could only see 75 yrds or so in the direction he ran. I went to look for blood after a while. NONE! Found my arrow broke off on a tree not 20 yrds in the timber. Blood on the end none on ground anywhere. I measured my arrow and full 10" not counting broadhead should be stuck in him. I am shooting a fixed 3 blade muzzy and imagine it was opposite leg/shoulder that made the crack? Should he be dead? Looked for blood 7 hours later and still didn't kick him up or find blood.

Where did you hit him? Could you tell where the arrow was stuck in him? What color is the blood on the arrow? Any hair, if so white or brown?

Was hunting thanksgiving morning and at 7:35 got a shot at my #1 buck. Only the second sighting of him all year. Long story short he popped out of nowhere behind me in the field @ 55 yrds and started to browse. After trying to calm myself I steadied my bow on him as he was starting out across the field and downwind of me. I stopped him broadside at 40 as I touched off my release. Heard a loud crack at impact and saw my arrow sticking out as he ran away. I could only see 75 yrds or so in the direction he ran. I went to look for blood after a while. NONE! Found my arrow broke off on a tree not 20 yrds in the timber. Blood on the end none on ground anywhere. I measured my arrow and full 10" not counting broadhead should be stuck in him. I am shooting a fixed 3 blade muzzy and imagine it was opposite leg/shoulder that made the crack? Should he be dead? Looked for blood 7 hours later and still didn't kick him up or find blood.
Had the same thing last year. Behind front should and cracked opposite side shoulder. Broken arrow and no blood with a Rage. Searched for days and no sign of him. Shot gunners got him and said he had a real bad infection and moving slow. After i shot him I was confident he was a dead duck.

There was hair by the arrow and was brown, and could barely see arrow as he turned on a dime back the other way. Maybe upper lung slightly forward looking at a deer cutaway? Just cant believe I would have hit near shoulder/leg and got that much penetration. Heading out today with neighbor to check a couple spots.

Hard to say, if you hit the shoulder it could be tough. Opposite shoulder, that should kill him.

A loud crack sounds like near side shoulder, but ??

Exact same scenario happened to dad a couple years ago. A little forward and a little high...a month later when he killed the buck, he was healthy and rutting. We recovered 10" of arrow and the broadhead. It had slipped below and between vertebrae and barely knicked the chest cavity.

Sounds like my shot as well. I figured him for 25 yards and was only 18. Still makes me sick. Only thing I still can't figure is why i didn't have any blood with a solid shot and using a 2" rage.

Top Bottom