Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Opinions Please

firepoggy

I am purchasing a new slug gun for the upcoming season. I have settled on a Savage 220 and either a Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 or a Redfield 3-9x40. What I do not know yet is ring/base.

Any suggestions or opinions?

I am purchasing a new slug gun for the upcoming season. I have settled on a Savage 220 and either a Nikon Slughunter 3-9x40 or a Redfield 3-9x40. What I do not know yet is ring/base. Any suggestions or opinions?
That's pretty much my setup, except my Nikon isn't the slug hunter model. It's kind of hard to find scope mounts with the way the action and taps are on that gun. I have a one piece scope mount that I got at a scheels for mine. I'll look at the brand, but it works great.

I have the Savage 220 with the Nikon Slug Hunter. Really nice set up

With the 20 gauge Savage - what I heard is when you shoot a deer, they just get stunned, fall down and right when you think it's done when you're gonna tag your deer, they get up, run away never to be seen again?!?! I :(:rolleyes::confused::mad::D

Those are great guns. Bro shoots tacks with it. I love my Super Black Eagle with rifled barrel & Leupold VX-3 3x9x40 but there's no way I'd buy that set up again considering what you can do with those Savage's and they cost a fraction the price. great set up. Still have never found a bullet that will come close to grouping like the Winchester Gold Partitions but maybe that's just me. Love em.

165 inch buck at 30 yards

With the 20 gauge Savage - what I heard is when you shoot a deer, they just get stunned, fall down and right when you think it's done when you're gonna tag your deer, they get up, run away never to be seen again?!?! I :(:rolleyes::confused::mad::D

Those are great guns. Bro shoots tacks with it. I love my Super Black Eagle with rifled barrel & Leupold VX-3 3x9x40 but there's no way I'd buy that set up again considering what you can do with those Savage's and they cost a fraction the price. great set up. Still have never found a bullet that will come close to grouping like the Winchester Gold Partitions but maybe that's just me. Love em.

I didn't say the guy shooting it (Me) was a good shot. You would have to bring that up. :D Makes me about puke thinking about it.

I have a Leupold VX-II on mine but if I were to do it again, I would buy the Nikon Inline XR scope. When you look at the ballistics the dots are absolutely dead nuts on at 100, 150, 200 and 250.

Check it out on the Nikon Spot on ballistics program.

I prefer the Weaver picatinny base and like Burris zee rings. The picatinny base allows for a lot more adjustment for eye relief. That action is drilled a long ways apart and a lot of shotgun scopes don't allow for much barrel adjustment. As flat as that gun shoots I see no need for bdc reticals.

I would hold a night force on with burris rings.
Every scoped rifle I own is held on with burris rings.
All centerfires are sitting on a one piece base. My go to slug gun is an 870 20 guage with fully rifled cantilever barrel.
Bushnell banner 1.5×4. And 1oz remington buck hammers " no longer in production" of or a 7/8oz light field hybrid.
Both are bad medicine on every deer ive touched. 12 guage performance from a smaller/lighter and more compact gun. Had been flawless from 5 yards to 155 yards for the last 12+ yrs.
If i was strictly stand hunting id grab the muzzeloader or a savage slug slug thrower

I have a Leupold VX-II on mine but if I were to do it again, I would buy the Nikon Inline XR scope. When you look at the ballistics the dots are absolutely dead nuts on at 100, 150, 200 and 250. Check it out on the Nikon Spot on ballistics program.
Pretty close to mine. I have my dope numbers taped to my scope actually. The circles are pretty nice and it's much better than holding 6 inches high or 4 inches or whatever.
This is the Nikon prostaff bdc 3-9x50mm dope.

Last edited:
What type of ammo do you plan on shooting? I had the best luck with accutips, but I get flyers occasionally. Not sure if it's me or the ammo.

I'd seriously consider the Federal Trophy Copper slugs. Accuracy is probably same as Accutips but knockdown is better than Accutips.

As we all know each gun is different but for my gun the federals wouldn't print better than a 2 inch group at 100 yards. I actually originally bought 8 boxes of federals and 2 boxes of accutips as I wanted to shoot federal. The 2 3/4 accutips literally all touch at 100 yards and darn near just as good at 150. Over 175 yards though they drop like a rock and wish I had a bdc for those cases. As far as accutips performance I have been very pleased with two dropping in its tracks and one making it 40 yards. They seem to be very hard hitting with big blood trails. I originally bought the federals as I do love that bullet.

My buddies gun seems to shoot the federals much tighter. I have a stainless barrel and he has blued. Not sure if it makes a difference. Here is the bdc print for a 3 inch accutip with Nikon inline xr 300 at 8x. Looks very nice!

ForumRunner_20150814_090122.png

Last edited:
Nice Mike. I wonder how big those bdc circles would be on a deer at 250 yds. I like how leupold ultimateslam has dots and they get smaller for longer yardages.

Top Bottom