Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

[Opinions] Time For New Raingear

Iowabowtech

I'm really not a huge raingear fan and for that reason, I've never spent the coin on quality stuff. It's looking to me like it may be a soggy couple weeks and with a lot of scheduled vacation this year, I'm going to be in the tree short of a typhoon.

So...what does everyone recommend for bowhunting raingear that will absolutely keep you dry in a constant rain? I'm pretty confident Sitka will fit that bill but I'd rather not drop several hundred bucks if possible. I'm not totally ruling it out I suppose, but hoping there are other options less advertised but known by the experts...I.E. you guys. :)

I bought a set of Frog Toggs and thought I had a Tyvek accident while re-siding a house.

They are loud and I ripped the crotch out of the pants something like the third time I wore them. I do that a lot with pants that slip off my waist, when I throw a leg up to climb over something.... Really needed suspenders to keep the pants up on this set.

I bought a Whitewater jacket years ago for turkey hunting and it is so quiet that it has become my rain coat for bow hunting as well. I think I paid under 100 bucks for it but its not scent lock or anything. I just store it in a tub of leaves with everything else and have had no problems.

I bought some RedHead Squaltex II, hopefully they wont disappoint me. I did wear the bibs tonight and the kept me "bone-dry"

I bought a Whitewater jacket years ago for turkey hunting and it is so quiet that it has become my rain coat for bow hunting as well. I think I paid under 100 bucks for it but its not scent lock or anything. I just store it in a tub of leaves with everything else and have had no problems.

That's actually what I have. I think it might be a Whitewater Drencher. I may just give it a shot I guess. Really never put it to the test bowhunting but after looking into it on the net, it actually did get fairly high marks for quality and lack of noise. It's fairly light but I have one size too big so I could layer underneath and make it work I think.

We'll see. I won't have time to do the Cabela's thing if the testing fails so if I need to regroup it'll be Bass Pro or Scheels on one of those desperation trips where I end up spending way more money than otherwise necessary. Not that any of us know what that's all about. :D

Cabelas has some of their Dry Plus rain gear on sale right now. I just bought the 3/4 length tops and bottoms a few weeks ago. Haven't needed it yet, but the material seems nice and soft, quiet. Has good reviews. It's light and stuffs into a little sack, so definitely would have to layer for the colder months. Give it a look

2nd on the Cabela's Dry Plus. I have a lightweight and heavyweight set. They are both very quiet and have kept me bone dry on many occasions.

One side note. Most good raingear will have a hood, which keeps your head dry in a rain, and assuming you have decent boots, your feet will be dry. It took me one miserable sit to figure out that this only leaves one critical part of your anatomy uncovered...your HANDS! It'll cost another $30 or so, but don't forget to invest in waterproof gloves. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

2nd on the Cabela's Dry Plus. I have a lightweight and heavyweight set. They are both very quiet and have kept me bone dry on many occasions.

One side note. Most good raingear will have a hood, which keeps your head dry in a rain, and assuming you have decent boots, your feet will be dry. It took me one miserable sit to figure out that this only leaves one critical part of your anatomy uncovered...your HANDS! It'll cost another $30 or so, but don't forget to invest in waterproof gloves. Good luck :way:

NWBuck

What gloves you like?

NWBuck

Third on the cabelas dry plus.

I had the dry plus years ago and after a while it leaked. Maybe the newer stuff is better.
I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for.
I have the light weight Sitka jacket and pants and they are excellent. They keep me dry and they are very quite.

Top Bottom