Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

otters

kelcher

How many of you have seen otters out in the wild? I ended up seeing my first one in the Cedar this weekend. Pretty neat experience. I hope I see more . . .

The only ones I hope to see are in my traps. They wreak havoc on ponds and rivers, but they are a pretty amazing animal. Some of the best hunters on the planet.

Mink on steroids. Fish wolf. If you have a pond not so glad to see them. I keep my pond cleaned out but a friend has stocked his pond three times. He gave up.

No stocked fish to worry about or to keep it around so it will probably move on. Neat animal to see though.

I have seen one and had pics of a pair on my trail camera over the last 4 years. Both times right between the Cedar and a small pond on my property. Also have a friend that trapped one not too far off the Cedar a couple years ago.

I caught 2 just today in my beaver sets. Since they are now out of season I've called the local DNR officer so he can pick them up.

Kinda changing my mind about these things after reading all of this . . . .

And when people tell you they clean out their ponds that's exactly what they do.... They will fish for play/fun in addition to for food. During ice season you will find fish carcasses on the ice with a single bite taken from the fish.

had one get into a family pond in southern iowa 10 years ago or so and pretty soon the shore was line with eaten catfish and bass.............

had one get into a family pond in southern iowa 10 years ago or so and pretty soon the shore was line with eaten catfish and bass.............
Exactly. And it's usually the coons and other scavengers that do the eating. The otters just kill to kill. There is a reason they're called water wolves.

have a whole pack of them that work from a neighbors pond into a major creek in my area. Have seen up to 6 at a time. Feel bad for the neighbors pond but we cannot do anything about them in Illinois. They are very cool to watch and sound like a herd of deer coming through ;)

have a whole pack of them that work from a neighbors pond into a major creek in my area. Have seen up to 6 at a time. Feel bad for the neighbors pond but we cannot do anything about them in Illinois. They are very cool to watch and sound like a herd of deer coming through ;)
Oh yes you can. IL biologist issued me a nuisance permit and warden said kill them all now. If away from a running body of water. In other words a pond. There is a trapping season now with a limit of 5 per person. They are thinking of lifting the quota. Fun to watch but still fish wolves.

Top Bottom