Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ouch!!!

showstopper

PMA Member
Here is a video I got off of a trail cam on my dad's farm. I'm not sure who would have shot this deer but they definitely need to spend a little time at the range.

As you watch the video I want you to look and see if you think this is a new wound or an old one. It almost looks old to me but I cannot imagine that a deer would survive over a year with something like this in their head.

It might just be the old Steve Martin arrow through the head gag!

But seriously, it is amazing what they can survive....tough animals.

I would like to meet the idiot that did that. This person is not a hunter - but it will give hunters a bad name.

Tough animals for sure. I doubt the shot was intended for his head though. I would guess the arrow deflected off of a branch or something.

If I got a trailcam vid like that my main goal the rest of the season would be to put that deer out of its misery. Missed shots happen but too many guys I know think they can shot a deer with a bow way further than they are capable of.

Man that's sad to see, deer are incredibly tough and it looks as though he will live for now. I can believe that the shot was maybe not meant for the head but as hunters we should hold ourselves more accountable for being sure we are taking a fully humane shot. Deer don't deserve that and the rest of us hunters don't deserve the shame of a few.

Ouch! I can't imagine it's a very old wound mainly due to the fact the arrow is not broken. Hopefully it was a deflected shot or something and there isn't a moron out there trying to head shoot deer with his bow....

I have talked to several people who have stated that there are a few hunters who are religiously trying for headshot and neck shots. For some reason they believe its a faster kill. Stupid people.

I have talked to several people who have stated that there are a few hunters who are religiously trying for headshot and neck shots. For some reason they believe its a faster kill. Stupid people.

I have heard about the "neck" shot with a gun, but never with a bow! Regardless, feel bad for the deer. Wound doesn't appear fresh, don't see any blood, etc. Who knows, still a bad deal!

*sigh*

I'm embarrassed by the actions of some hunters. Inexcusable.

So you and Handcannon must be perfect and have never made a mistake? None of us know what happened and can only speculate. Me I try to still find the good and people and would assume tis was an arrow that got deflected, or the deer moved just before the shot. The first deer I ever killed with a bow was shot in the neck, not on purpose, but because I was anxious and just as I made the shot the doe whirled and that is where it hit her. For sure a terrible thing that happened to this deer, but chances are there is a hunter outr there that is sick about this, maybe even a young kid that was trying to harvest their first animal. But forget all that, lets just throw stones and bash someone when we have no first hand knowledge of anything.

I agree, first thing I thought was prolly a kid or first time hunter. I know the first shot I made on a deer with my bow didn't go as planned! Can you all say yours did?

I agree, first thing I thought was prolly a kid or first time hunter. I know the first shot I made on a deer with my bow didn't go as planned! Can you all say yours did?
Nope the first deer I killed last year was a far back shot. Hit the main artery and he dropped 30 yards from the shot.

Deer jump strings, branches deflect, nerves are strung high, bow clearance issues - many reasons that poor shots occur. Instead of passing judgement we should take it as a challenge to continue improving and honing our own skills and shot judgement process.

I've seen many deer jump the string turning towards the hunter. Many possibilities that could have happened.

I doubt the shot was intended for the head, for whatever the reason it just ended up being a bad shot. A few years ago I accidentally shot one the neck, it was dead in a matter of seconds surprisingly. Although I am sure there are some morons out there purposely trying for head shots.

And I am sure the people bashing could play football better than the pro's. I think all of these hunting shows give people a warped sense of reality. And if you have not lost a deer with a bow you have not shot a lot of deer. It happens

Top Bottom