Our 2018 season

Discussion in 'Iowa Long Beard Conference' started by MadisonB&C, May 24, 2018.

1. MadisonB&C

MadisonB&C Active Member

Between being limited to early morning hunts and tough turkeys, 2018 was a little tougher than usually, but we still managed to have some success! The first bird down was a family friend. The 2 of us hunted hard on my main farm for 3 days, but super-leery birds and predators had us stymied. We switched farms at 10:00 on our last morning and had 2 big birds come in at a run (without hesitation) from 740 YARDS to the strutter decoy and a couple yelps. Talk about an easy reap! IMG_0545.jpg

We didn't get my wife's 3rd season tag filled, and on the first Saturday of 4th season I decided to leave the bow at home in exchange for my Remington. My cousin was tagged out, and tagged along for the show, and he got one. He sat on the backs side of the tree, and the heavyweight tom we were gunning for strutted in front of him for 10 minutes at 20 yards before walking away without giving me a shot. 20 minutes later more average sized bird came in to the deces, and I'm not the kind to look a gift horse in the mouth. Fun hunt, and my cuz managed to Facebook Live it. 20180505_092229.jpg

My wife was excited to get her 4th season tag and give it a shot the next weekend, and we woke up bright and early to a rain, windy, dreary day. We slept in, took our time, and made it to a ground blind on a cornfield edge just before the rain stopped... just in time, too. 5 minutes later I spot toms across the fence in the pasture, and 30 minutes later they stepped out, saw the breeder hen and strutter decoy, and came in on a string. She smoked a MONSTER. I wish we had weighed it before leaving a breast with the landowner, but he was probably as close to 30 lbs as we've ever been. THICK 12" beard and and 1 1/4" hooks. What a blast. :) IMG_4144.jpg

Sligh1, 203ntyp, fatboy and 1 other person like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

Sounds like a fun season! Congrats to all!

4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Nice birds, congrats! But it looks like your wife's truck needs a little TLC. :) What type of mileage do you get with that? :)

5. gersdorf

gersdorf Life Member

Congrats on a great season!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Well done guys!!!
    *I knew u were buying the wife a “used vehicle & one that needs a lil tlc”.... but... yikes!!!
    Congrats to the crew!

7. NWBuck

NWBuck PMA Member

Nice work and congrats to all! Gotta love it when you've got plenty of turkey in the freezer to experiment with new recipes!!

NWBuck