Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Out of state trip - WY Antelope

isu22andy

Few (2-4) of us would like to do an out of state hunt. We are all still fairly young and unmarried (for the most part) but still financially getting our feet under us. We obviously want to hunt as hard as we can while were young before we start settling down. We all bowhunt whitetails at home but want to branch out and try something different. We arent opposed to walking long ways and hunting our asses off on public but want to do something out of state. Throwing around the ideas of Wyoming antelope... Can someone point us in the right direction and give us an approximate cost as far as tags go or places to start? Any words of wisdom will be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Unit 38, 103, or 42 in Wyoming application cost is $286 decent odds getting drawn in those units with lots of Antelope, just need to find some private ground. 96% Success rate overall in Wyoming, that's where I'd go and do it. I'd honestly go rifle the first time then go archery.

4 of us applied for wyoming antelope a few weeks ago. Really looking forward to doing something a little bit different. Overall wyoming antelope sounds like shooting fish in a barrel, i cant see it being as easy as everyone says, but hopefully we find out this fall

4 of us applied for wyoming antelope a few weeks ago. Really looking forward to doing something a little bit different. Overall wyoming antelope sounds like shooting fish in a barrel, i cant see it being as easy as everyone says, but hopefully we find out this fall
We see antelope everywhere in Wyoming when we are driving through

What's the public land hunting opportunities for WY antelope ? Would really like to DIY . Keep it coming guys !

There are a TON of public land opportunities in wyoming. When we first started looking into this whole trip it was amazing how much public ground there is available. Ive spent hrs and hrs reading and it sounds like the first week of season can be kind of hectic but after that there are still great places with small amounts of pressure. If you look into some of the more "trophy" known areas then there are smaller pieces and less luck of drawing.
We chose 2 units that have huge tracts of public, and a high success rate. We kind of steered away from the "trophy" areas. We are just looking for a fun get away and a decent representative of what i would consider a good antelope.

If you're doing Wyoming Antlelope you better get started. I believe the draw is due at the end of this month for Wyoming. I have applied with 2 PP and a special tag to get on some private land. It will be my first trip out. Something different to try. I prefer elk hunting over anything else. Imagime calling in an 800 pound turkey. Several States offer lots of public opportunities for elk but you have missed all the draws I believe. The only option left is for OTC in Colorado which is what I am doing for the first two weeks of September before my Antelope hunt in Wyoming. Do the elk thing while your young. The mountains are tough and getting elk out DIY is the hardest thing you will ever do. Trust me I have done it. Hope to do it this year too and I am 41.

• Deleted by TheMadCatter
Show…
Unit 38, 103, or 42 in Wyoming application cost is $286 decent odds getting drawn in those units with lots of Antelope, just need to find some private ground. 96% Success rate overall in Wyoming, that's where I'd go and do it. I'd honestly go rifle the first time then go archery.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but is it possible to just buy a preference point without paying for the entire license up front.
Also I read it as if you had the points you were automatically in the drawing?

Realistically my wife will tell me I'm not going with my buddy Brus but until that time I will be buying points in various states until I'm 43 when my last child goes off to college

Is there an app or interactive public hunting map ? WY DNRs website is not near as user friendly as Iowas for finding public ground. When can I apply for points so I can hunt this fall ? Apologize for being needy, been talking about this for few years want to get the ball rolling!

Last edited:
n
How did you fare out ? Where did you go ?

Thanks

Think there are two ways to get points. One you can check a box when you apply and if not drawn they will withhold money for a point. The other is if you know you're not going in the fall you can buy a point only in July of each year. That said there are alot of areas that you do not need any points to draw for antelope. Check the DNR site for places to hunt. Also start searching the Chamber of Commerce sites as some publish landowner lists to pay a small trespass to hunt. Some areas have leftover tags which means a lot of private ground and hard access. Also you can buy a sd card with public and ownership marked on a map from HuntingGPSmaps.com. I've gotten good info from biologists and game wardens out there. Give them a call that's part of their job. Order some BLM maps. You can hunt all BLM land if access is available.

Think there are two ways to get points. One you can check a box when you apply and if not drawn they will withhold money for a point. The other is if you know you're not going in the fall you can buy a point only in July of each year. That said there are alot of areas that you do not need any points to draw for antelope. Check the DNR site for places to hunt. Also start searching the Chamber of Commerce sites as some publish landowner lists to pay a small trespass to hunt. Some areas have leftover tags which means a lot of private ground and hard access. Also you can buy a sd card with public and ownership marked on a map from HuntingGPSmaps.com. I've gotten good info from biologists and game wardens out there. Give them a call that's part of their job. Order some BLM maps. You can hunt all BLM land if access is available.
Thanks , more to it than I thought !

So many units Anyone else have any advice ?? Public land is a must . From my research it sounds like some units all the public is locked up by private roads . Iowas public is idiot proof damn near ha !

Also been looking into doing someting like this. Considering south Dakota also where we would have access to a private ranch. Anyone with past experience?

I've hunted them about 45 minutes west of Laramie. lots of antelope and lots of fun. Don't over think it, but set your expectations appropriately. You will all probably kill antelope out there but don't be too picky. Unless you have preference points built up or have access to a large private ranch you aren't likely to kill or even see a big one.

Probably over thinking it is right , probably just something need to jump into to figure out how it works. .

Thanks

All the research for antelope hunting you need to do is available on the WY Game and Fish site. They have a tool that allows you to start planning your hunt. Start there and then branch out. You will find everything you need to know on their website.

Start buying preference points now for all the species that you want to hunt.

Find a list of units with good public land, then look at the draw odds, and start building your points. You can also buy left over tags but many of those units are mostly private land. Ask the game warden in the area for a list of ranchers that allow hunters on for a trespass fee. Just about all areas of the state have a good population.

All the locals are very friendly and helpful. There are a few other forums out there that you can research specific units once you get that far. Do as much research on your own and start asking specific questions.

You will need a GPS and a land chip for it. Most areas are not signed and not knowing you are on private land will not be an excuse to avoid a ticket.

I went out in 2012 and all 3 of us harvested our antelope. I plan on going back fall 2017.

a few of us have also thought about trying something like an antelope hunt. not sure if we really want to go as far as Wyoming tho. any other states with decent success rates closer to home?

a few of us have also thought about trying something like an antelope hunt. not sure if we really want to go as far as Wyoming tho. any other states with decent success rates closer to home?

You will start seeing huntable populations of antelope in Western Nebraska. However, drive another 2 hours and you are into Wyoming.

8-10 hours is not that far to drive.

Top Bottom