Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Out of state trip - WY Antelope

We have hunted south of Gillete a couple times.What we did was apply for the special draw.We had to pay alittle more but everyone said chances were better.We then bought doe tags.Set up popups close to water tanks right by the pump buildings and we shot I think 8 does and 2 bucks we just went around a ask ranchers.Most of them wanted us to shoot does first.I did see on Dave Watson on Outdoor channel that he mentioned tabletop outfitters offered a DIY hunt where for a cheaper rate they supplied the land and you do everything else

We have hunted south of Gillete a couple times.What we did was apply for the special draw.We had to pay alittle more but everyone said chances were better.We then bought doe tags.Set up popups close to water tanks right by the pump buildings and we shot I think 8 does and 2 bucks we just went around a ask ranchers.Most of them wanted us to shoot does first.I did see on Dave Watson on Outdoor channel that he mentioned tabletop outfitters offered a DIY hunt where for a cheaper rate they supplied the land and you do everything else

I would highly recommend Wyoming for a first time DIY hunt. I went in 2015 having never hunted antelope before. Everyone in my group (12 of us) killed a buck. Mine missed B&C by one inch. we hunted public a lot, but did have access to some prime private land that didn't get pressured. I still think 5 or 6 of the bucks came off of the public land though. It is nothing like hunting whitetails, that's for sure. We were in unit 43.

I would highly recommend Wyoming for a first time DIY hunt. I went in 2015 having never hunted antelope before. Everyone in my group (12 of us) killed a buck. Mine missed B&C by one inch. we hunted public a lot, but did have access to some prime private land that didn't get pressured. I still think 5 or 6 of the bucks came off of the public land though. It is nothing like hunting whitetails, that's for sure. We were in unit 43.
Good to know, I have yet to apply for a unit, wish it was as easy as Iowa with 5 zones.

a couple other things to keep in mind. Many units you can draw with no preference points, but those will be the most pressured. The "trophy" units will take a few years to draw, but pressure is way less. But there are quite a few units that you can draw with one point, which IMO gives a year to plan a better quality trip than you would likely have on highly pressured units. Also, if you find an area and are having trouble on the public land. Don't be afraid to ask private landowners to pay a trespass fee to hunt their land. Our group got access to a 3000 acre ranch for $100 per person for the whole time we were there. And found a gold mine 33,000 acre cattle ranch we paid $40/day to hunt. that was were I killed mine. Ranchers don't care about antelope for the most part and are pretty willing to grant access..It would be tougher if going after mule deer or elk, but antelope are literally everywhere...in peoples yards, gas station parking lots, etc.

a couple other things to keep in mind. Many units you can draw with no preference points, but those will be the most pressured. The "trophy" units will take a few years to draw, but pressure is way less. But there are quite a few units that you can draw with one point, which IMO gives a year to plan a better quality trip than you would likely have on highly pressured units. Also, if you find an area and are having trouble on the public land. Don't be afraid to ask private landowners to pay a trespass fee to hunt their land. Our group got access to a 3000 acre ranch for $100 per person for the whole time we were there. And found a gold mine 33,000 acre cattle ranch we paid $40/day to hunt. that was were I killed mine. Ranchers don't care about antelope for the most part and are pretty willing to grant access..It would be tougher if going after mule deer or elk, but antelope are literally everywhere...in peoples yards, gas station parking lots, etc.

For this coming fall Can't I apply for a point then apply for a draw so I have one point or does it not work that way ?

Thanks

Andy

Check the regs but I think the deadline for a "point" was late summer or fall of last year.
You are correct, the deadline was end of October or November I believe. I bought a point for this next fall. Will have 3 points for 2017 draw. Hunted an area with 100% draw odds in 2014. We managed to get one buck between two of us. The antelope were there, but the area we were hunting, the public land was very "patchy" and not defined by fences. Most antelope were on private land and the rancher of that land leased his land for outfitters. Like others have said, bring a good gps, and maybe some chains for your tires. Seriously, a little rain or snow and its hard to make it anywhere on the mud roads.

You can buy points until Sept 30th each year. So there isn't a way to buy points for 2017 at this point. if you buy one this year it will count towards 2018 or after...whenever you decide to put in for the draw

Drew my first unit! October can't come soon enough . Better practice on the long gun. .

Last edited:
Top Bottom