Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

outlook - standing crops

BJohnson

Been talking with a co-worker the past couple days about this fall's harvest outlook. Sounds/looks like a super-late harvest so tons of standing crops for the deer to hide in during late Oct - early Nov.

Sure looks like lots of slow hours on stand this season could be a real possibility during the rut. Upside, harvest pressure may be down and herd numbers can rebound some.

Any thoughts ??

Probably will help the deer population a bit. If it were a late corn harvest in states with November gun seasons, that really is a benefit to the deer.

LOL, how does it keep going in earlier every year, but staying in longer?!? I don't get it. I keep hoping if it dries up soon we will see more farmers in the fields earlier.

If we don't have a long dry spell or solid freeze, guessing there will be some wet spots with standing crops long after the rest of the fields are out. Should be some extra feed and cover for deer and pheasants.

LOL, how does it keep going in earlier every year, but staying in longer?!? I don't get it. I keep hoping if it dries up soon we will see more farmers in the fields earlier.

Really? Is that an actual honest question?
As of right now, in my area, we are 7-8 growing days behind last year. Some areas had a wet spring, which delayed planting. The cool summer hasn't done anything to help mature the crop at the usual rate. Also, maybe people in your area are growing hybrids that have a longer maturity date then they used to...

As of right now, in my area, we are 7-8 growing days behind last year. Some areas had a wet spring, which delayed planting. The cool summer hasn't done anything to help mature the crop at the usual rate.

Late planting, cool weather, bumper crop standing in the field that most likely is going to be too wet to harvest. Low commodity prices coupled with the LP costs to dry bumper bushels is not going to be an incentive to take it out of the field real wet.

Forecast for earlier than normal snow and a cold winter. I might be hunting standing corn late MZ season.

Really? Is that an actual honest question?
As of right now, in my area, we are 7-8 growing days behind last year. Some areas had a wet spring, which delayed planting. The cool summer hasn't done anything to help mature the crop at the usual rate. Also, maybe people in your area are growing hybrids that have a longer maturity date then they used to...

It all depends on where you are. Yes, I understand the environmental factors it was a "light-hearted" answer. I understand the factors involved. I talked to a guy from northern MO last week who swore to me that his corn hadn't even dimpled yet.

We always have standing corn around us not because of the crop conditions, but because the farmer always works his way from west to east. Our farm is the farthest section to the east that he farms. So, regardless it always is combined last.

Up here in NE Iowa, it won't be" super late", but it sure won't be early. The next 2-3 weeks will determine if we start Oct. 5 or the 15th. Sunny, windy days can speed things up considerably, regardless of temps.

i dont agree with this....i work with farmers everyday...ive got guys who will be shelling corn next week for sure in both northern MO and Southern IA...others are saying late sept to start and maybe 1st week of oct for beans!

i dont agree with this....i work with farmers everyday...ive got guys who will be shelling corn next week for sure in both northern MO and Southern IA...others are saying late sept to start and maybe 1st week of oct for beans!
Yep in west central IL they are telling me no waiting. Will be happy to pay for drying. Bumper crop and not to stable. Wind took some down this week. Some are testing it.

Just set up where they enter/exit the field and wallah! :D

But seriously, looking to me to be normal harvest around me. Maybe a little later, but not too much.

If crops come out late, it could suck for me, if my back does not straighten out. I can't climb a stand right now and was planning on just hunting from the ground this year from blinds mostly.

If it is in late season, I can see myself spending a lot of hours still hunting through crops.

Hopefully the increased storage of LP and hopefully they will not reverse the pipe lines this year to keep the cost down.

Crops coming out late isn't a bad thing in my opinion. It gives the deer a chance to hide from all the masses, yet if your property isn't pressured they will still move on it during shooting hours. Now it's a bit of a moot point in Iowa compared to Indiana because the gun season doesn't hit around November 15 the like it does here in Indiana.

Top Bottom