Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Overthinking the shell/load?

muddy

I overthinking things again...

My daughter is scared of the gun, but having seen her siblings success she said she wanted to try again. We went out and shot a low brass skeet load at 15 yards and came up with this. Even with low brass 2 3/4" #8s I'm THINKING this will do the job if we keep the decoy CLOSE? I do have some high brass 2 3/4" #6s and thought about slipping them in for "added knock down insurance"? Again the whole "when the birds coming in she'll not even notice" comes into play.

Here's the low brass skeet pattern at 15 yards.
e9719ca2ba583accd6570214b058ca87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know you have killed alot of birds as well as been with others who have shot birds (you know how hard they are to kill). I would slip in the # 6's. Those birds are tough and I don't think you want your daughter o hit one and not get it as opposed to making sure you knock him down for good. Just my .02

If the shot placement is good and at a close distance it will do the job. If it was me I would go with the stronger load just to make sure. Once they are coming in she will forget all about the recoil of the gun. But at 15 yards with a headshot and the #8s would get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'd go with the 6s. There shouldn't be much if any kick difference between those two shells. The first ever youth tom we shot was with a 2 3/4 federal 6 at 20 yds the bird dropped like a brick. Now both kids are using 3" 5 Turkey Thugs. They tend to kill these birds real dead with that 20 guage round. We are yet to try a bird over 20 yds with that gun though. The gun is a Mossburge youth bantam 20 guage with a mod choke, its 10 shots for 10 kills on turkeys.

Last edited:
It'll work. What about a limbsaver pad? Good luck.
I have a custom pad on the stock. It's pretty cherry. It's a shirt rolled up and then taped on there. It works really really well.

I'm likely going to stick the high brass in, she even admitted it didn't hurt, just the recoil push scares her. Need a big dumb drummer spitter and gobbler to roll up, keep her mind on what it needs to be on.
62e088d5121d0ff21ea709e6b94d5d92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That load will do just fine! Geez seriously that’s a face full. If the shells look the same and pattern the same slip in the 6’s she will never know.

Do you not listen to anything we tell you? :) You will be fine with a lite load! Lane killed his Tom this year with a 2 3/4 pheasant load. 5 shot. And the bird was 50 yards away.

No, I'm flighty and nervous.

Seriously tho I think I have "brain fog" from getting Lymes a few years back.

Top Bottom