Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ozonics review- 2 hunts, 26 deer

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have some close friends that won't use it, cool. I have a close friend that talked me into trying it (he also brought his over to get the cigarette smell out of a used vehicle I bought & it really helped). I said ok, I'll try it. I am going to be as neutral and fair with my ONLY 2 hunts here that I experimented/trialed the product.

All I did was take a scent-free shower and wore scent free clothes that have been hanging outside for 5 days. I got straight in my golf cart which I cleaned with scent-free stuff. Brushed teeth with baking soda, etc. Just did the things I feel are AVERAGE and standard and didn't do anything that's obviously a no-no (smoking, gasoline, beef jerky, etc, etc).

I sat 2 nights in mediocre areas that I did NOT expect a big buck to come to BUT a place where I knew many does would come to. These are TREESTAND spots I won't hunt when it's "good" and I didn't mind screwing them up. I purposely set up where my wind would briefly go over a trail they use to come out to feed and once they are feeding, no wind would go in their direction. *Also, I followed directions to a T and made sure this product was used exactly as directed.

The 1st night, I had 8 groups of does come out containing between 1 and 3 does. The 1st night totalled about 16 deer roughly. Every single deer did NOT make it past the wind-lane or area of wind drift and ZERO deer made it to the food source. Every single group (sometimes only 1 deer got me) smelled me, blew or bolted out of there. Not one exception. Last night I went out for 2nd time. 10 deer total got down wind of me, they had passed by me upwind thankfully and I could have shot them all, as they got down-wind, each deer proceeded to either bust or blow. These were 3 different groups of deer totalling 10 deer. Not one of the ten got downwind and calmed down or stayed in place. All the deer busted and were 300 yards away within 30 seconds.

This is my 1st trial with a TOTAL of 26 deer that came downwind and all 26 were alerted and did not get past the scent area. This is only 2 hunts. Thus far, I have had zero success with this product. This is me trying to be FAIR, HONEST, NON-BIASED & FACT BASED. Yes, I have some scent covering stuff I "dabble" with for fun BUT I also use many other products and actually have varying success with many others. I fundamentally always play the wind and don't think ANYTHING is 100%. I am doing my best to leave my opinion out of this though and purely pass on my limited experience. I will make a couple more attempts and I am bringing out my video camera to document the experience going forward. Just my experience, in NO WAY am I saying this is hard science, fact or proof, this is simply the honest experience of 2 hunts and 26 deer. Good luck all!

Last edited:
You must be doing something wrong Skip. ;)

That's the story of my whole life though!!! :D I did have my pet Coyote "Wiley" tied to the tree below my stand though, I couldn't get a dog sitter. Not sure if that had anything to do with it?!?!

Last edited:
I would say next time don't park your golf cart at the base of the tree. Maybe that will help. ;)

Perhaps it just depends on the mood of the deer...last night I had 28 straight downwind, and not a single one smelled me...I dont/wont use ozonics, just scent spray...from does, to bucks, to mature 4.5 and older bucks...just hung up at 50 yds with the wind, no shots...but all were down wind...not maybe another night not a single one would have stood there?

Thanks for the input though! I like to hear it

I think you must have forgotten to turn the Ozonics to the on position, because if a celebrity says it works Skip then it works dont you know that? I mean I have seen the videos and seeing is believing. LOL

Man,,I'd like to see 10 does in one night,,,but has anyone tested that stuff that's supposed to overwhelm a deer's nose? Possibly they have on here and I missed it. I mean a through testing?

Thanks for the HONEST review Skip. I beleive you to be a stand up guy and wouldn't skew things one way or another. I can't wait to see the old buck you shoot this fall without using snake oil.

Man,,I'd like to see 10 does in one night,,,but has anyone tested that stuff that's supposed to overwhelm a deer's nose? Possibly they have on here and I missed it. I mean a through testing?

I've use Nose Jammer once (only been out once with it) and had 2 little bucks work down wind, they busted immediately. Going to try it again but not too optimistic.

Thanks for the review Skip. I have no doubt that Ozonics probably helps in certain situations as well as some of the other products on the market, BUT... There is no substitution for playing the wind and understanding thermals. Keep us up on your progress with the machine, and also if you can, log some data as to weather, wind speed, barometric pressure, etc while you are doing this (if you want to). :grin: There are so many variables to getting "smelled" by a deer and variables that effect their sense of smell. If a guy would pay attention to weather and thermals and Barometric pressure on the days he doesn't get smelled by downwind deer, than you may have some solid data to go off. Curious to see some of the responses on here.

There are so many variables to getting "smelled" by a deer and variables that effect their sense of smell. If a guy would pay attention to weather and thermals and Barometric pressure on the days he doesn't get smelled by downwind deer, than you may have some solid data to go off.

I couldn't agree more with degeez on this!! Looking forward to more feedback

I can assure you that you are doing something wrong man. We have had a dozen deer at-least straight down-wind of us with zero reactions. You MUST have the unit over-head, pointed on a hard downward angle, and exactly in the direction the wind is blowing. The chemistry works, so you are doing something wrong!

I can assure you that you are doing something wrong man. We have had a dozen deer at-least straight down-wind of us with zero reactions. You MUST have the unit over-head, pointed on a hard downward angle, and exactly in the direction the wind is blowing. The chemistry works, so you are doing something wrong!

And I thought I was a sales guy...... ;) I do love the hand saw though!

Well, the only difference between our set-ups is we use 2 units because we have 2 guys in the tree. Part of the reason Ozonic's likes me is that I'm about as anal as you can get.

It's extremely frustrating when we go out, have zero deer bust us, and then I read this. Makes me wonder what is going on.

In-case you guys haven't figured it out yet, I don't promote gimmicks. If you think I'd put my name on something I didn't honestly believe in; how is that good for my business?

Haha that's exactly what I was thinking. Between Skip and Todd, this could go on for months. :grin:

Don't worry, I have a padlock ready. At least with Skip and Todd they will discuss/argue this in a reasonable manner.

Top Bottom